Caribou Gear Tarp

First time hunter rifle

Weatherby put a lot of thought into designing the stock for the Camilla to specifically fit a female shooter. They didn't just shorten the LOP. My wife had been shooting a Rem 700 in 243 with a stock that I had shortened for her LOP and fit with a nice recoil pad. She seemed to like it "OK", but then she got to borrow a Camilla and we took it to the range. I asked her what she thought, and she replied "it actually fits me, I want one". My wife is 5'4" and pretty curvy.

I spend way too much money on firearms for myself, so why not buy my wife a rifle that she is actually excited to shoot!

I think the important takeaway is that the firearms industry is making some great off the shelf rifles specifically designed for women, and they are worth taking a look at if you're outfitting a female shooter/hunter.

I don’t think you can go wrong with a good .243 or .25-06, as long as the rifle fits the shooter. Lots of good used rifles on the market, and they’re are a lot of pretty good 3-9 scopes out there that won’t break the bank.

I just don’t see the need for big power Cartridges on deer and antelope, but I am a firm believer in well constructed bullets placed well, at speeds they are designed for.

How about .223 with a top quality hunting bullet? (If .22 is legal in your state) or 6x45 w/Nosler 85gr. Partition? Maybe .300 BLK with a good tip? (I’ve never shot a deer with .300 BLK but have heard good things). All three of these are easy and fun to shoot within a reasonable range +/- 150 yds or so, maybe 200.

I personally don’t see the need to overthink it. I shoot at least once or twice a week, so my confidence in bullet placement is right where I want it. Practice, practice, practice..

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back