Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First time for everything

starvingoutdoorsman

Took my first animal with a bow this morning. Just happened to be this Black Bear Boar. Elk hunting trips and change on a dime. Listened to bugles last night and never even got a chance to call them before finding this guy. Spent less than an hour hunting this weekend.

Attachments

• hunting 2_1.JPG
    hunting 2_1.JPG
    332.9 KB · Views: 499
  • hunting 2_5.JPG
    hunting 2_5.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 500
What's that old saying, 'a bear in the hand is better than an elk in the bush?' Oh, maybe not, but way to go taking advantage of a great opportunity. Congrats and great photos!

Great job, glad you had that tag in your pocket. Thanks for sharing and your pictures!

Thanks everyone. He had been coming into camp the last week and raided a lot of peoples camps. We had prints on our trailer that we found after we were told there was one around. We left camp and about a half mile up the road we cross a dry creek and the road curves. There was a wall tent there and I was scanning the hill for deer when my dad stopped so I did also and we both see this bear standing in the dark timber on his way to this wall tent. He had been in it 2 times the last day or so. We found that out after I shot him and we heard a whistle come from the area of the tent. Turns out another hunter drew the short straw and had to stick around camp waiting for this bear in case he returned. I figured it being elk season nobody was around. I feel good about taking this bear out for the simple fact I feel like I made a difference in actually helping cull a problem bear out of an area where there were kids camping among other things. It sucks to have a bear associate us with easy food. I would have filled my tag with him either way but prefer to have to work for it and not have it handed to me on silver platter like this guy did. Its just a big reminder to be bear aware, maintain a clean camp, and follow food storage rules especially in bear habitat. Little side note. After he was skinned and meat taken off the bones we found bird shot embedded in his shoulders. So it just made me feel even better to take him.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back