First time elk hunter

Jc2020

I am planning my first ever elk hunt this year in Colorado. I plan on trying my chances with a bow and hunting the rut. But I’m curious how effective calls are on public land elk with all the hunting pressure or if they are weary of people trying to call them in?

Welcome to the forum. Check out the search function with different keywords and you may find many answers on this subject

Welcome to the forum.

Much of your question is really dependent on the hunting situation. If you find yourself in the middle of a bunch of other hunters it can be a problem (bugling and cow calling). The other thing you didn't mention was whether you would be hunting Bulls or Cows. This will also make a huge difference in calling. Personally I think you are doing the right thing by hunting during Archery season. It is the easiest way to see more animals and have more chances at punching a tag in my eyes. Calling is a very personal thing. Here in Washington we hunt cows and spikes 90% of the time and if I find myself around other hunters I don't do any calling other than to stop an animal for a shot IF it is necessary. Often I don't. If I have a bull tag in my pocket and am in the back country I am as aggressive with calling for locating purposes as anyone. You have to be or you are just relying predominantly on stumbling into a bull rather than locating one, specially in an area you are not familiar with.

If you find yourself amongst other hunters and pressure is high the elk tend to figure out quickly that all the calling is a "warning" signal and not something that is good (specially if you have a bunch of hunters calling just to call, suck at calling or just doing it for the wrong reasons). Going on 22nd season of archery and learning every year. I have hunted backcountry bulls, popular hunt areas and even road hunted during Sept. It's all so different and find that even after 21 years something new happens that can throw you for a loop just when you think you got a handle on it. I always say when in doubt stay quiet and let the scenario develop. If it's meant to be its gonna happen. Specially around hunt pressure. just my .02

There are a million scenarios I can think of where calling is super helpful and there are a million where I would say are more of a problem (solo hunter, multiple hunt partners, tree stands, ground blinds, spot and stalk, it goes on and on). This is a huge topic that can be debated and talked about for hours. I am just going over two "GENERAL" scenarios with you: One with other hunters being prevalent and one without. Even within those two scenarios there are subjective reasons why or why not to call. You're better off working on your spot an stalk skills, studying wind scenarios and if you can understanding the area you plan on hunting. Become super proficient with your bow and be able to put a good shot on an elk. Even spikes and young cows are tuff as nails and will suffer down to their last breath. If an opportunity is to present itself you're best friend is the ability to calm your nerves and be able to make the shot.

I wish you the best of luck, hope you see tons of elk and hope you come to full draw as much as you can during season. Expect to address your new addiction after this season! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Last fall - just a few hours apart - we called in other hunters and later called in a bull that came running. Ya never know.

A simple addition to ntodwild's post above is that a common mistake for first timers (in my opinion) is overuse of a bugle in your first foray into elk hunting during the rut. There are many things you can say with a bugle and knowing when to use them can be tricky when you are in the moment especially if you hear another bull.

To add to what ntodwild said. I never call. My style is to sneak in close to the elk. I can't do that if I call and give away my position.

However, in the right situation calling does work and the majority of elk hunters call.

Thanks I’ll be hunting for a bull and hope I can avoid a lot of the pressure by hiking way back in and backpack camping but not sure since never hunted it before I’ve been doing research online and using onX maps to check out several spots I plan on coming out for few days to scout around then do a week long hunt around the the last two weeks of archery season.

Keep in mind the farther you hike in, the farther you have to haul out the meat. Temps can be high for your Sept hunt and you need to get the meat cooled.

I'm not sure what you've hunted up to now but if it's just deer. You'll be shocked when you see the size of a bull elk on the ground.

I agree that it may not be as crowed as Rifle seasons, but Archery can still be very crowded in areas.

It won't be. Just look at the number of tags sold. Plus, not many bowhunters hunt the whole season. Just don't hunt an easy to hunt unit.

Thanks I’ll be hunting for a bull and hope I can avoid a lot of the pressure by hiking way back in and backpack camping
Sometimes you might be better off to camp from the truck or have a spike camp just so you can relocate easier if required. A lot of people make the plan to hike in farther than everyone else anymore and you get all the way to just find more and more hunters, or an outfitter with horses, etc. If you do get miles back and are successful you still need to pack it out and September can be warm.

the Better the call the better the odds. Private or public. Over the past few years I’ve had a hard time getting an answer from older calls. Have had some great luck with Rocky Mountain mouth reeds and Phelps game calls also. Good luck

Back