first time elk hunter advice wanted

gawga_boy

hi folks.... new to this site. looking for info/advice for the first time elk hunter. I'm sure these questions have been asked before, so just point me to the links if you would.

For a first timer, would it be better to go the ranch/outfitter route rather than dive right in with public land diy?

If jumping in the deep end is doable, what's the best state to look at?

I'm planning on the 2013 season. Any advice and info will be appreciated.

Best advice I've read here was " find an elk and shoot it!"

Look at Colorado where you can get a bull tag over the counter. Cow tags are by draw but are generally easy to draw and you can sometimes pick one up as a left over.

Save the cash you'd spend on a guided hunt and apply it to gear for DIY hunting, then go hunt. Part of the fun of all this is figuring it out. Besides, there's more combined knowledge on this site than in any outfitted camp. Read and read some more.

Spend some time on the board here soaking up the massive amount of info already posted. Then decide where you want to hunt.

Do you want to learn to elk hunt or just kill an elk. If you're only going once, go guided. If you want to go over and over again (and you will) learn to DIY.

Colorado is the best option for quick success. Lots of elk, lots of hunters, easy to get tags, generally not known for monster bulls. Montana and WY are generally thought of as producing more trophies but with more expensive tags and a lower success rate. AZ and New Mexico are seen as top end trophy states with the hardest draw odds, and expensive licenses as well. Idaho, is a sleeper state, decent license prices and decent trophy potential if you work your tail off.
Pick one of those that seems to suit your outlook and get started. Your goals and the path you take to achieve them will change once you start your elk hunting journey.

The outfitters are pretty expensive.I would go DIY,there's more satisfaction knowing you did it your self.Pick a state then get your maps and talk to the local fish and game and if you can the local biologist to check the herd numbers.As Mr Martin said all the above state are good the ony one i think he left out is Utah.Do your home work and it will pay off in the end

Gerald said it well regarding if you want to do it once or often. If you hear a bugle and have a pulse you will catch the fever. Personally I would rather take a spike (and I do) on my own than being just the shooter and the guide the hunter. I'm sure at first it can be a little overwhelming as the industry makes it out to be a hardcore $500 matching outfit ultra magnum rifle/bow endeavor.

You can make it as hard as you want but they aren't hard to kill nor do they all live on the Matterhorn. The advice above is spot on. I'll add If you can drive to elk country to scout the areas you mapped and asked f&g about it will help immensely. The season you want to hunt will dictate what you look for during scouting. They may or may not be there in July if your hunt is in November.

Enjoy the journey and have fun whether you kill one or not. If you are near Idaho/Oregon I could point you in a direction.

Looks like Colorado may be the best bet. My best friend has hunted Wyoming several years for Speed Goats and Mulies but he hunts a ranch near Casper. He did take an elk there but as I recall the fee was pretty steep. Knowing me once will not be enough so using the money that I would spend on a ranch/outfitter for diy gear is good advice.

Appreciate the info and now it's time to start doing my homework.

Oh yeah.. Colorado's website looks pretty good too. Their "Elk Hunting University" section looks like it will be pretty helpful.

Last edited:
Im headed for Colorado on the 30th for the 3rd rifle hunt. I'll let you know how it goes

Excellent info already. If you plan on being a long-time elk hunter, then do as suggested and put your money into top-knotch gear and be set for the long haul. Are you going centerfire, mz, or bow? If you are going centerfire, I would suggest a Colorado cow tag as your first one. A bull in many areas can be iffy and in Colorado, I don't think most of them are worth the expense. There are more cows, you don't have to worry about how many points they have and they are great eating. The tag is easy to get and the hunt is the same. Get your feet wet (probably literally based on my hunts) on cows and then start figuring out the bulls.

I have always looked forward to my time in elk camp. There is nothing like being in the mountains. I killed a few bulls, but I enjoyed my cow hunts at least as much. It is all elk hunting.

Decide where you are going and then get every bit of info that you can on that area. Talk to game biologists etc., look at all available maps and google earth appications, and absorb whatever tidbits you can from forums such as this.

Elk or not, you will enjoy your time chasing them.

thanks for the cow suggestion.... That's a good idea. I was looking at the Colorado licenses and saw the bull cow either sex license and thought that one might be worth considering.

I'm primarily a centerfire rifle hunter but do dabble in traditional archery. For elk it will be with rifle for sure. Not trying to brag or be boastful but success options are much greater as I'm a sub-moa shooter out to 600 yards with my hunting rifle. Actually farther than that but my scope's bdc rericle is good to only 650 yards. With that said I wouldn't shoot an elk that far as that's beyond the range where my cartidge's energy is considered adaquate for elk. I'm a firm believer that shooting more accurately and the confidence that gives is more important than the size or power of the cartridge. I never got magnumitis. I don't take unethical shots either. If I can't get a good clean shot I don't take it even if it means I go without a kill on a hunt. Hunting is more than killing to me.

Also I need to consider the less mountains areas as my body is no longer as young as my mind thinks it is. :D

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back