First time diy elk hunter

Rjschwertz66

Hey guys I'm lookin for info on Colorado or Idaho, for a otc elk hunt. Any advice, pointers, or insight from personal experience or from what a friend has told you would be greatly appreciated.

You may need to be a bit more specific. I'll give you two pieces of advice though:

First, take advantage of the very helpful folks at the Colorado Dept. of Parks and Wildlife. They have "hunt planners" who can answer a lot of basic questions for you. They also have an "Elk University" on their website that is full of good information.

Second, start getting in shape now. You will not regret time spent conditioning your body!

I'll tell you what I was told about Colorado. The Routt national forest is full of elk. Crazy numbers. But just like a lot of national forests its also full of hunters. As the two guys above me said, get in shape. It will help you get farther in than other folks. Getting a tag is easier than most states as well. They have two seasons that they sell OTC to nonresidents. 2nd and 3rd. I was told by an old hunter in Utah, if you put in the work and aren't afraid to climb up and down a mountain Colorado offers the best chance to bag an elk. That doesn't mean you'll get a monster. It just means you will fill your freezer. But that's true of most states unless you have 15-20 points for a selective unit. Idaho is a different story. What I know about Idaho isn't worth writing. All I'll say is I've seen elk from Malad to Bonners Ferry. And I've seen three true wall hangers, one was non-typical with about 18 pts and one was over 400" 7x7, on the INL site just outside Mud Lake Idaho. Good luck to you and no matter where you go, enjoy the experience as much as the hunt.

I'll tell you what I know about Idaho. I was told by an old road hunter from the Bitterroot Valley, Montana that if you're willing to road hunt, Idaho offers your worst chance to bag an elk. "Idaho is a different story." All I'll say is I've seen elk from Malad River to Glenns Ferry with no real wall hangers. One though would have scored 40" .7x.7 on the "INL" (I.N.E.L. - Idaho National Engineering Laboratory) near Mud Lake, Idaho. But you'll need 15 to 20 points for a "selective unit" like the "INL" (I.N.E.L.). What little you know about Idaho certainly isn't worth writing about!

Last edited:
Hey R66, I have hunted Idaho and Co. I've gotten lucky in each state. Rifle and bow. I now hunt Idaho because it's closer to me(CA). I prefer the controlled hunt approach. Then, if I don't get drawn, I take to the Panhandle region and hunt with my bow. If one is unsuccessful, they can come back for a rifle hunt. And, if still unsuccessful, come again with a bow. I have taken big and little in each state. To me, size doesn't matter, I just want a quality hunt. I get mine by getting in the backcountry. I too have connected with game biologists who were very helpful. Id also has a great trip planner on their site. Good luck!

Pay particular attention to this year's winter kill in each area. I have never see animals in such poor shape as I am seeing right now and it's only Jan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back