Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First time Antelope in Wyoming, help needed!

I went the middle of Oct. this year and was nothing like the first of Oct. last year. We saw only does and small bucks and they were bunched up. Last year we were seeing bucks and does scattered all around with good selection of bucks. This year it looked desolate.But as we were leaving the last day, saw the best buck i've seen with 17 does. we just were not hunting hard enough or in the right areas I guess.

23 is not a good spot for public land. Lots of tags and lots of goats on private. Some of the ranches had a $1500 trespass fee. We were able to get one good buck just from getting lucky but I can see someone going home empty handed. I bet you could pay a $500 trespass fee and kill a nice goat in 23. There are leftover tags too so you can still get a point. Just not the route we wanted to take.

You need to go on Wy. website and look at units that have a few walk in acres or hunter management areas.These are private ranches that are open to public for no fees.I hunt a hma in unit 45 and never had problems filling a buck tag.In fact, everyone I've sent there has taken bucks.And, if you want to shoot does there are tons of them there.I see no reason to pay a trespass fee for antelope other then not taking time to do some research.
It will be one of the most fun hunts you will do.Usually a lot of action and targets

I personally would not pay a trespass fee. There are too many antelope to be had on public land. Get a map with GPS coordinates and learn how to use it. There are blocks of state land, BLM land and such that with a GPS you know exactly where you are and if its legal. Park the truck and glass and walk. You will be surprised how much game that flat country can hide. Enjoy, this is as much fun as a dove hunt only bigger pieces of meat. Its fantastic table fare,

This is my response to a similar thread on the site that I just sent. You are on the right track but there is no need to pay a trespass fee, there is plenty of public with a ton of antelope on them. Also call the local biologist once you have an area defined, they know the areas as good as anybody and share a lot of info.

This is what we did and you can tell from our previous posts have done pretty well antelope hunting. The east side of the state (within a hundred miles of the border of south Dakota) has some awesome populations of antelope. My best advice is to get the hunting GPS map chip and review it on your computer, then go to the Wyoming department of wildlife website and look at success rates and preference points required... the success rates are jaw dropping. FYI, not all public lands that have a road on the map are public roads and thus cannot legally be accessed. Once you have a unit in mind google the county you are looking to hunt in and get the public road map and see which areas you can actually access. From my experience the flatter the better for antelope, when you start getting around the steep or mountainous terrain the antelope disappear.. not to say they won't be a couple miles away in the flatter areas. I hope this helps with out giving you a honey hole. This method earned my dad, my brother, and me 7 antelope (all the tags we purchased) in 2 days of hunting our first year out. The only reason we hunted 5 days in 2012 is because I was holding out for a bigger buck.

Look for areas that have a lot of walk ins, the best new regulation for leftovers was the change from private only to within 1/2 mile of agricultural land open to hunt

Advice from a 38 year Wyoming resident who has guided and hunted Lopes for years: In Wyoming, there are more Antelopes than people! They are everywhere. So . . . I advise you find areas with large amounts of public lands, few hunters, and nearby town for lodging, supplies, etc.
My first area meeting these criteria would be 53. Lots of goats and some huge ones! South central WY just north of Baggs. Go to: http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001080.aspx and absorb all you can. Check out the "land status map". The white areas are private. The gold, blue, green areas are BLM, State, and Nat'l Forest public lands!
Remember . . . Wyoming is mostly public land! DON'T PAY A TRESPASSING FEE! All landowners I have talked to are eager to get rid of the pesky little bastards! And they get $16.00 (landowners coupon) for every goat taken off their land. Also, be aware there are provisions to apply for more than one area to hunt called "Combined Hunt Areas". I don't know how to apply for this, but it allows a person to hunt more than one area even though they have drawn for only one. Call the G&F to get better answers.
Most importantly . . . practice shooting at least to 500 yards. I know, I know, that sounds like a lot. It is in GA. but not out here. I'm not suggesting you take a 500 yard shot, but if you practice FAR, you can hit close a lot more effectively. Besides, it's really fun! Good luck and do get some "reduced price doe/fawn tags" to put more meat in the freezer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back