MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First spotting scope: Leupold or Vortex

Cooperd0g

I am looking to pick up my first spotting scope this winter for use next year. This first use will be for a Yellowstone day hiking trip with my wife and kid to spot animals, but hopefully I'll be doing some hunting out west soon as well. I have narrowed it down to the Leupold GR 12-40x60HD and the Vortex Razor HD 22-48x65.

Both are similarly priced and have a similar, great, warranty. The Razor seems to have a slight magnification edge and slightly larger objective lens. The Gold Ring is about 20 oz lighter though.

Any specific reason or because you feel they are similar quality so go for the lighter weight?

I like Leupold and Vortex, and I own both. I have used both in the field, and have used both warranty services. IMO Vortex has a better warranty, and Leupold has better quality.

The Leupold is compact, light, and easy to fit in a pack. For hunting, I love it. Would prefer bigger scope at the range.

Those are both good scopes. GR at 12-40 is a better bet for your stated use. A 22-48 would be too much magnification for most light use people imo. Take a look at the FOV specs.

Vortex warranty is the best in the business. That GR is a great scope for backpacking.

You cant go wrong with either and I think you would be happy with which ever you choose.

I looked at many different scopes and I decided to go with the Vanguard ENDEAVOR HD 65S over Leupold and Vortex. I'll take similar specs @ about 1/3 the cost any day and carry a few more ounces.

I looked at many different scopes and I decided to go with the Vanguard ENDEAVOR HD 65S over Leupold and Vortex. I'll take similar specs @ about 1/3 the cost any day and carry a few more ounces.

Thanks for the recommendation, but my military discount for both Leupold and Vortex is too good to pass on. That is why I limit my search to those two companies.

I agree with Steve. Having that 12x is much more useful than having 22x as your low magnification. I have the Gold Ring and think it's a great scope. Great quality and I love the long eye relief and light weight. I do think they might be a bit overpriced new, but I'm glad I have one now that I do.

Sorry, cant give any feedback on either of your choices as I'm also considering both myself; however, Camofire had that razor up yesterday for $900. Might want to keep an eye out there if that's what you decide on.

I'm a fan of the smaller Gold Ring scopes. The 60MM has some of the best eye relief on the market. Plus I can offer incredible prices on them if you PM me. If you're looking for something in the full size 80mm plus, I can also offer you some suggestions. Pat

how good are gold ring spotting scope and gold ring HD is it worth the extra money

MSRP for the two is brought up is only about $90 difference so the street costs are going to be similar most likely. You just have to check the usual suspects and compare the prices. Schmalts offered the best price I have found on the Leupold.

Last edited:
How about the Cabelas HD ? They are offering 20 percent in club points right now...This will be my first spotter so I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Back