Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First shotgun: O/U vs. Pump

I was in the same shoes some time ago with my two older boys, both lefties.

The oldest started with a BPS 20 gauge, then finished with an 870 12 in LH.

The second started with the BPS 20 gauge, then finished with a well used Beretta O/U with double triggers. The kid can knock anything out of the air.

I'd buy him a Browning BPS. I've hunted with them for years and both my sons have them also. We all have 12,20 & 410 's . Good luck.

Double barrel w 2 triggers. I got one after hunting for years w an Ithaca 37 pump. It was fairly simple to get used to front trigger = open choke for usual first shot. Or for longer shots, there is enough time to switch to the rear trigger. There is never a safety question if the gun is open. You could even treat it as a single shot by only loading 1 barrel. Trigger time is key!

Thanks a bunch for all the advice and suggestions. Kinda was hoping for a bit more consensus ;) but then again it's a gun question on the internet. :D

I'd love to be able to put all of them in his hands and see which one he thinks fits best. I might try working with a new, local gun shop and see if they are will to round a few up for him to do so. Especially if I guarantee I'm buying one. The local Cabelas had absolutely none of those I listed on hand.

I've narrowed in on the BPS and Ithaca because of the bottom load/eject. The Ithaca can be fitted with a LH safety and some models of the BPS have shims for adjusting LOP. The Ithaca has a lighter listed weight. I've found weight to be a double edged sword with kids. Too heavy and they can't carry/mount it easy which can lead to some safe handling issues. Too light and it kicks too hard for them to have fun...

Still more to ponder, but I think I've narrowed the list a bit...

JLS- He'll only get a SXS after I do! I'm not THAT good of a dad.

I have an older Ithica mod 37. Wonderful gun I have never shot! Old corn cob fore end. Keep thinking one of these days I'm gonna get it out. But it's a full choke so before I shoot it I want to open that choke. 16ga. Smoothest pump I've ever fired.

Old as it is I'd wonder where to get a different barrel. Will new ones fit it? I don't really need a full choke. I only hunt birds with pointing dog's, not a lot of long range shots! I had though about shorting the barrel to 26" at one time but then it's either cylinder bore or screw in chokes. The screw in's all seem to bulge the barrel a bit, don't like that.

Don,

Look up Mike Orlen in MA. If your barrel OD is thick enough he will install screw in chokes for about 1/2 the price of anyone else. If it is not thick enough he can ream it out to a more field friendly choke.

Pointer,

Guess what is on the shelf of the local gun store? A 16 sxs "Pointer" model by Stevens. Price tag is more than fair. Think on it.

I would suggest you go to your local Trap Range. A lot of them have shotguns that can be rented. This way your son can try different shotguns. I am a lefty and started with an Ithaca 37 in 20 ga. It is a very nice shotgun. Very lightweight and consequently used to beat the heck out of me. Many doubles have a safety on the tang so a lefty can shoot the gun without any modification. Unless you buy a pump built for a lefty, it will throw the empty across your face - can be distracting - depends on the shooter. I know Ithaca and Browning have the safety's on the trigger guard so you need to change them to a left hand safety. If you get a pump, I would strongly recommend getting a barrel with a vent rib. It really helps the beginning shotgunner get a good sight picture.

I personally prefer doubles. They have a better balance. I would 2nd the suggestion of another poster that said get a double in 28 ga.

Why open it? At least try it first. Then, perhaps you would rather buy a second barrel for it.

Agreed, shoot it first. If you still want to modify it, Mike Orlen mentioned above was who I used to bore out the Sauer.

Having a gun that fits is a lot more important than a vent rib. You shouldn’t be sighting the gun anyway. Teach them to shoot with both eyes open.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is my second shot (at the same bird) is way better than my third...

The OU is way more sexy when that is considered.

Pump.Ithica featherlight..Best gun I've ever owned.Easy to operate and a breeze to disassemble and clean.Was given an 870 as a gift,it is my back up gun.(Never gets used.)

Don Fischer If you ever decide to part with your older Ithica 37 shoot me a PM dirtclod Az.

I started hunting with a side by side, you should be able to find a used one fairly cheap. I moved up to an 870 and then purchased a Ithaca 37 because of the light weight. The only thing you should be aware of on the model 37 is that it will fire when the slide is returned forward if the finger is slow to be be off the trigger. To me that disqualifies it as a starter gun.

Phaseolus is correct,many times have I left my finger on the trigger of my 37 while actuating the pump.Very rapid 2 shot group.almost as one shot.Suprise!

Pump, first shotgun should be a utility gun. You can use a over and under for a lot but you can get different barrels for slug hunting. I'd get a pump shotgun.

I'll toss i on this one.

Moss 500, hands down.

Simple design, rugged, easy to handle and goes BOOM every time without regard to ammo.

I borrowed my Dad's Ithaca, for a season, and to be honest it kicked like hell and was a pain to clean.

I would stay away from the 28" barrel for the 20ga though. It's a bit too long for an even & smooth swing. The 26" is quick and points true.

Only used an O/U once, on a turkey hunt, but it just didn't level off the same as the 500 and cost a hell of a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back