First Roosevelt

TBinKodiak

Heck first elk period. hump
07Elkhunt13.jpg

Here's a link to the full story with a couple better bulls taken.
http://www.hunttalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32900

For a Broken Bull.... He's a Stud :D :D

Congrats man, you have been in alot of good pics this year, Awesome again !!

Thanks Oscar, I had a pretty good year. Got to enjoy a few hunts with others and help them get on animals. Also took a couple myself, nothing of braggin value, but great hunts just the same.

I have seen elk antler take a real beating and not break. That bull must have have tripped over some of that thick nasty brush you have there and rolled all the way down to the beach!!!!!. ( I did about the same thing myself!!)

Nice bull you should make it through the winter now with all that meat!!!

Is that an Alaskan thing to shoot the antlers off first so you have less to pack out? Just kidding, nice bull. I know when I was in Oregon hunting blacktailed deer I saw a lot of Roosevelt elk and I was amazed at how much bigger their bodies are than the Yellowstone elk. They look like freak'n clydesdales with antlers.

I think it's a mineral deficiency thing over there. His nubs were polished off pretty good so I assume he busted them back in Sept. I found a nice chunk of antler a couple years ago while elk hunting over there and have talked to a number of guys who've shot busted up bulls. Actually, I think we got pretty lucky to get the 5x5 and 4x4 that weren't busted up.

TB

Good for you. If that's the first elk, good for you. I got a little more antler, but you've got a LOT bigger animal than my first.

Dang does that thing have a massive body. Too bad he didn't have antlers to match. I read a while back about a study that was going on about poor antler quality on those Alaskan island bulls but never saw any results or findings.

When it comes to Roosevelts, body mass is everything! Awesome job and enjoy the awesome table fare! You certainly deserve it!

Well here's a pic of the largest horned one. He was probably 200 lbs lighter, on the hoof, than the other two.
07Elkhunt02.jpg

Here's a pic of the 4x4 he matched mine in body mass.
07Elkhunt04.jpg

The amazing thing to me was how easily those bears had drug them from the kill site through some of the nastiest alder holes imaginable. Makes me think they could pick me up an shake me like a rabid rat an toss me over a 50 foot spruce tree if they wanted. :eek:
Just another day on the rock... :cool:

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back