MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First rifle elk hunt in unit 54, Colorado

Mmilne

Hi guys,

I'm an eastern hunter from PA and I've never hunted out west before. Some friends and I decided to try out Elk hunting and we drew unit 54 in Colorado. We've been told to get in there deep and find the nasty steep places big bulls like. Does anyone have any good ideas of where to start looking? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Sounds like you were already given good imfo.Get maps out or goggle earth and find the out of the way steep draws.A quick call to the local biologists is a good idea.They are pretty helpful out there unlike Pa.Not many people will give specifics on here,but if u can read a map well you'll find the places u need to be.Try and put 2 miles between u and any parking area then start looking

Hi guys,

I'm an eastern hunter from PA and I've never hunted out west before. Some friends and I decided to try out Elk hunting and we drew unit 54 in Colorado. We've been told to get in there deep and find the nasty steep places big bulls like. Does anyone have any good ideas of where to start looking? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Have you checked out the hunt atlas? Turn on the summer concentration area map. Get away from the roads. There is a good amount of elk up there. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Mike

Not too hard to find steep country there : ) its pretty rough terrain so my advice is get in the best shape possible then not worry about a big bull. Any elk would be a trophy for that unit. They put caps on licenses in later seasons for a reason. As soon as shooting starts the elk flee to private.

Its definitely TOUGH hunt from all I've heard.I knew some guys that use to archery hunt there,and never did well.If you would have put in for unit 55,I could have helped you a lot.You could draw that next year no points 1st rifle.If I was going to hunt 54, I would get myself close to private land that's not easily accessible.Its definitely tough country and VERY steep;get your legs in top shape.You may want to look into a drop camp also.It costs a bit but will get you back in and usually on elk

I drew a buck deer tag for the second rifle season. I am contemplating turning in my elk license for an over the counter tag for 54 as well. For what it's worth, I have never been in "elk country" that has been easy walking. My first step is to find an access road that I will be able to find a base camp that I won't have to ride an hour before reaching a trail head, then get after it. The maps are great to study, but they can't account for other hunters / outfitters. I would have plan A, B, C, & D ready!

Hey you guys are alright thanks for the info. My freinds and I really appreciate it. I've been working on getting in shape and getting ready to pack in. We've been focusing on the area west of West Elk Peak. Should we be worried about spoilage at that time of year?

Back