Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First Pronghorn

R.K.

Wanted to share a picture from yesterday while I've got some downtime.

IMG_20191019_121017.jpg

Southeast Montana, 3+ hours from home on some block management, was able to do it as a day trip. Not sure I'll do that again.

Shot was 230 yards- 168gr copper monolithic from a 308. Not a giant, but good enough for me.

View attachment 117449

Southeast Montana, 3+ hours from home on some block management, was able to do it as a day trip. Not sure I'll do that again.

Shot was 230 yards- 168gr copper monolithic from a 308. Not a giant, but good enough for me.

I wish that people would quit worrying about the size. WHO CARES, IF IT IS NOT A GIANT! That is a great buck and everyone of them is a fun hunt and good eating. Good job!

I wish that people would quit worrying about the size. WHO CARES, IF IT IS NOT A GIANT! That is a great buck and everyone of them is a fun hunt and good eating. Good job!

Some people chase antlers and inches- I just wanted a buck for the freezer. This was about perfect. The only thing wrong with him was the smell- I wasn't quite ready for that level of musk on an animal.

Some people chase antlers and inches- I just wanted a buck for the freezer. This was about perfect. The only thing wrong with him was the smell- I wasn't quite ready for that level of musk on an animal.
Smell is no big deal. It is in the hide/hair. Strip it off, wash it off and it is fine. Most antelope meat has little odor.

Congrats. You see many others running around? Slim pickings where I was at down that way this year.

A bunch in the unit, not many left near the roads/parking lots on the publicly accessible areas. This was about a mile and a quarter from the truck- I saw probably 20 back there, and this guy crossed the fence with two does.

Nice buck! I'm sure that was a long day. Driving after a long day's hunt can be awful hard.

View attachment 117449

Barnes TTSX by chance?

Barnes TTSX by chance?
Yep- Barnes vortex (ttsx). I have cheaper stuff for the range, but I wanted to move to non-lead for hunting.

I was a bit too far forward- obliterated both picnic roasts, took out the aorta, but was able to save the heart. Hoping there's something worth saving on those roasts, but the shoulders feel like a sock full of gravel- not a solid bone left in them.

Last edited:
Yep- Barnes vortex (ttsx). I have cheaper stuff for the range, but I wanted to move to non-toxic for hunting.

I was a bit too far forward- obliterated both picnic roasts, took out the aorta, but was able to save the heart. Hoping there's something worth saving on those roasts, but the shoulders feel like a sock full of gravel- not a solid bone left in them.

I switched to those this year as well. Took a couple pronghorn does a few weeks ago with them and was very impressed with them.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back