First pack need help

Luckydog1147

Looking for my first pack to go into the back country. Been looking at a mystery ranch Metcalf or the Marshall. Pros and cons go!

I would recommend doing a search. This is a very common "new" thread. My two cents is I'm all for the Metcalf!

Not to rush you into anything, but gohunt has an awesome Memorial Day sale going and you can use promo code randy to get an additional 10% off the sale price. I think you can get a metcalf for $380 shipped (which is a steal). I just got a metcalf and while I haven’t put miles on it yet, it’s seems comfy and solid just from fitting it. Happy hunting and welcome to hunt talk!

Not to rush you into anything, but gohunt has an awesome Memorial Day sale going and you can use promo code randy to get an additional 10% off the sale price. I think you can get a metcalf for $380 shipped (which is a steal). I just got a metcalf and while I haven’t put miles on it yet, it’s seems comfy and solid just from fitting it. Happy hunting and welcome to hunt talk!
Are you sure the code randy works? I thought thay is just for the subscription.

@Luckydog1147 figure out what you want in a pack; backpack hunting, basecamp hunting, mostly hiking some hunting, etc. Next think about what features are most important to you; meat-shelf, pack weight, materials(durability), organization, etc. Last think about your price point. You might be happy with an osprey pack or you might want a Kifaru or Stone glacier, all depends on how you use gear and what you are willing to pay.

Looking for my first pack to go into the back country. Been looking at a mystery ranch Metcalf or the Marshall. Pros and cons go!

wllm1313 has good advice, need to know more what you plan on doing before giving advice. Depending on what you want, I would add a Mystery Ranch Beartooth to the running, got some pretty good upgrades on the Metcalf.

@Luckydog1147 figure out what you want in a pack; backpack hunting, basecamp hunting, mostly hiking some hunting, etc. Next think about what features are most important to you; meat-shelf, pack weight, materials(durability), organization, etc. Last think about your price point. You might be happy with an osprey pack or you might want a Kifaru or Stone glacier, all depends on how you use gear and what you are willing to pay.
Precisely.

Don't limit yourself to only a few brands. Hunting-specific backpacks have gotten to be very good in the past few years, but in my opinion they're still playing catch-up to the well established backpacking brands. Buy what fits your body and test it loaded. Don't buy a pack just because it comes in camo or has a pocket for your bugle.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back