Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First out west DIY hunt

Chuckchapman1

I’m planning on heading out west from MN in the next year or two. Hopefully working my up to elk but realize I’m in over my head for trying for Elk on my first trip. So my question is what is the best critter and state (not after anyone’s secret spot) thinking Wyoming antelope would be a good starting hunt. Any suggestions? I have no points so I’ll be after otc tags.

Definitely get your feet wet with antelope, lots of animals and fantastic eating! Not to mention usually not a super physical demanding hunt.

Depends on what kind of experience you are looking to have/ amount of planning you are willing to do. WY antelope has gotten really popular, so while you will probably be able to get a tag and harvest an animal the units that you can hunt with 0 pts can feel a bit crowded and might not be what you are looking for in a hunt.

For a first hunt out west I would recommend car camping and hunting earlier season, throwing snow and low temps in the mix can make things miserable if you aren't prepared. I would look at CO Deer (2nd & 3rd season), MT Deer, and ID Deer. If you have a muzzleloader, I would strongly consider doing a CO muzzy hunt as the weather that time of year is typically pretty forgiving.

If I were you I would research a couple of states and buy a point or two for whatever species you wan to chase or whatever landscape really interests you. 2pt for Pronghorn opens up more options, as does 2 CO deer or 2 WY deer points.

I enjoy hunting antelope but a mule deer hunt would give you better hunting knowledge to use for elk.

I enjoy hunting antelope but a mule deer hunt would give you better hunting knowledge to use for elk.
Good advice there. A lot of units in Idaho would allow you to hunt OTC for deer in an area right around elk season. If you saw a bunch of elk it could give you confidence for a return trip. Just remember that Idaho does limit the non res tags in most areas so you may need to buy a tag in December for next year. Christmas gifts.....

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back