Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

First or Second Week?

Bowhuntrben

If all goes well, my dad should draw a Type 1 rifle elk tag for Unit 38 in Wyoming this year (Bighorn Mountains). What are your thoughts on hunting the first week of the season vs. second week of the season? Season opens tentatively on Oct. 15.

The positives that I see of hunting the first week would be potentially hearing some bugling and the animals haven't been pushed around for a week by all the hunters. The hunters that are around might push something to me as well. Potentially better for being able to get around on some of the roads depending on the weather.

The largest negative of the first week that I see would be that there is likely more pressure from elk hunters. There is a general deer season there, so there will be plenty of deer hunters walking around the first week.

I am undecided at this point, but am leaning towards the second week simply because I don't want to see somebody wherever I go, but I'm open to going the first week if chances for success are much higher. Has anybody hunted here and know what it's like for crowds during the first week?

Thanks for any input you have!

I would pick the first week for the very reasons that you mentioned. Maybe catch the tail end of the rut? We've researched the Big Horns and we were told that the snow can get pretty deep too. The later you, wait the more likely you are to run into heavy snows. Good luck on whatever you decide!

How many points does he have?

I am a little torn. You should give the biologist a call, and find out how many elk start to get off the mountain once the shooting starts. The hard part about the bighorns is that most of the roads are up on top, not down in the valleys, so the chances of the roads being snowed in is very real, and then a big chunk of that unit is shut off, and everyone will be concentrated in a much smaller area.

If it was me I think I would maybe try and be out there 2-3 days before the opener, and be sitting on elk come opening morning.

If he draws it shoot me a PM, I might be able to point you in some directions.

Thanks for the info guys! It looks like first week may be our best option.

MinnesotaHunter....my dad has 7 points going into this years drawings. Looking at 2015 draw odds, 100% of people with 6 points drew and 74% with 5 points drew. I will definitely shoot you a PM once the draw is confirmed. Thanks for the offer!

Back