First Mountain Merriam

On my colorado birds the colors are pretty close. the Rios are considerably smaller tho. Probably a good inch or 2 smaller fan

This wont tell for 100 percent its a Merriams but if you go to the NWTF turkey records search page and look for the birds taken in Colorado that were accepted as merriams then see if any were accepted from the county you shot it in and if yes you know the NWTF would take it as one :)

Just check and they have had some in my county. Going off of beard he is in top 30 in the state for typical, but sadly didn't measure his weight.

haha nice commitment running em down!

I once shot a bird dropped em, then he got up and I ended chasing him across a field 200yds parallel to a road shotgun in hand. I could only imagine how comical that looked! Found the bird too!

Just check and they have had some in my county. Going off of beard he is in top 30 in the state for typical, but sadly didn't measure his weight.
Awesome ! And again congrats on the bird can you still hunt Colorado bag limit is two birds right ?

Last edited:
Awesome ! And again congrats on the bird can you still hunt Colorado bag limit is two birds right ?

Not exactly you can shoot one bird on the OTC license and then one bird if you draw a turkey license for specific units our public lands not included on OTC. I do have one of these for eastern Colorado I will try to hunt.

Not exactly you can shoot one bird on the OTC license and then one bird if you draw a turkey license for specific units our public lands not included on OTC. I do have one of these for eastern Colorado I will try to hunt.

Yes.

1 limited bird
1 OTC bird

If you do not get a limited tag in the draw you can only shoot 1 bird on an OTC tag.

Good job!

Snow hunting for turkeys happens a lot less in KS compared to CO I'd bet.

His bird got me beat though at 21pounds, 1 1/4 spurs, and 9.5" beard
Congrats on the birds! I'm also hunting the Front Range near Boulder for practically the first time this season and have run into a lot of other hunters and even some cranky residents that I could tell didn't want me hunting there. I've heard some gobbles but they're usually followed by a shot and then me relocating to a new spot 😂

I spent the last 8 years or so hunting Rios in Central Texas, so this is definitely on a whole other level.

Congrats on the birds! I'm also hunting the Front Range near Boulder for practically the first time this season and have run into a lot of other hunters and even some cranky residents that I could tell didn't want me hunting there. I've heard some gobbles but they're usually followed by a shot and then me relocating to a new spot 😂

I spent the last 8 years or so hunting Rios in Central Texas, so this is definitely on a whole other level.

The best turkey call in Texas is a feeder going off 😂

Back