Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

First Lite New Gear

Nathan

I see First Lite has zip off base layers new for 2020.

I don’t know about the lighter weight ones but I know the furnace zip offs will have a place in my kit.

I like the brooks puffy so much I might get a second in grey to wear around town.

Full zip for a layer like that is huge, kinda ridiculous more companies to make them.

That said, I don't see a ton of efficacy for them for me personally. I have the puffy pants and which I think are way more useful.

Full zip for a layer like that is huge, kinda ridiculous more companies to make them.

That said, I don't see a ton of efficacy for them for me personally. I have the puffy pants and which I think are way more useful.

The puffy pants are where it’s at! Game changer!

So yesterday it was -8 when I headed out ice fishing and I was wearing my Furnace base layer. After the long walk on the ice my legs were pretty sweaty.

This is probably where I would use them most. Ice fishing I stay mobile so no mattter how cold I’m not in a shanty.

Zip-off base pants are so clutch, I HATE taking off my boots and pants just to remove a layer, plus the guys I hunt with are always looking for embarrassing photo ops and standing around in your underwear in the wilderness always gets laughs...

My one concern with quick zip off pants would be the “elk” factor though. I cannot count on one hand how many times I have had my boots off, taking the long underwear off and have had an elk take a quick mid day trip across a valley at 800-900 yards. Just like turkeys that pop out from behind a tree when you go to take a pee. Just a thought...

Did you really use the word "kit" to refer to your hunting clothes?

Yes I did.

The gear I wear while hunting or fishing or just recreating outdoors is a part of a kit just like Q tips are a part of my gun cleaning “kit” or aspirin is to my first aid “kit”. 🤷‍♂️

My one concern with quick zip off pants would be the “elk” factor though. I cannot count on one hand how many times I have had my boots off, taking the long underwear off and have had an elk take a quick mid day trip across a valley at 800-900 yards. Just like turkeys that pop out from behind a tree when you go to take a pee. Just a thought...
And the big fish bites when you are opening a beer . . .

I like the zip offs in theory though I've never tried them. I do my best not to wear long underwear hunting. The furnace zip offs look sweet, but I'd probably use them more for skiing that anything. Puffy Pants for the win.

And the big fish bites when you are opening a beer . . .
And the geese start pouring in when you go get your truck to pack out the decoys lol

They always wait until you drive into the field too HA!

I was thinking the furnace pants might be most useful for skiing. The Kuiu zip off long johns were really uncomfortable at the top of the zipper, especially with a pack on so I sold them. Maybe I'll pick up a pair of these or the new ones from Stone Glacier for "skiing" and keep them in my "kit" for hunting if they're comfy.

More zippers to mutter obscenities at as I try to work them will numb fingers.

I foresee more companies coming out with similar products. Stone Glacier has a whole new line of bottoms from base layer to rain pants that have side zips that line up amongst the layers.
Personally I wish more companies just had zipper vents as a option in their pants. Same with pit zips on jackets.

Man I feel dumb... when I got the email from first lite for zip off base layers, I pictured half the leg zipping off like those convertible dad pant/shorts combos. The zipper up the side makes much more sense....

That being said when I strip my base layer I prefer to precariously stand on one foot in my boot and remove them one leg at a time. I feel a sense of accomplishment when I manage to do it and not step my sock into wet ground.

I pictured half the leg zipping off like those convertible dad pant/shorts combos.
First Lite should give the people what they want....warm up break away side button base layers! lol

Back