First Lite layers what to get next

bhuntin

Looking to get some opinions on what layers to add to my kit next. I mostly hunt in the midwest "WI" but starting to do yearly trips out west for elk or mule deer. Sept or Oct. hunts

Currently have Llano and Chama hoody and Kanab pants.

Looking to add two of following this year. What would you go with?
- Puffy jacket - Any experience with how well it sheds lite rain or snow?
- Halstead Fleece
- Labrador Sweater
- Aerowool crew full zip

Thanks for the help

You HAVE to have an Uncompahgre. You simply do. It's so versatile, so packable, yet so warm you can't not have it. It's not rated waterproof, but it sheds light rain and snow very well.

Emrah

I have both the halstead and the Labrador. I use the halstead quite often as an outer layer. The Labrador snags too easy to be an outer layer. I also use both as an insulating layer.

I also agree with Emrah. The Uncompahgre is a MUST.

I would scratch the Labrador and get the halstead. Love mine. Not the greatest for hiking as it doesn't breath that well which I don't believe it was intended for anyways, but just a super comfy and warm layering piece that you could wear as an outer in the early fall when not super mobile. I would also get the puffy. One of the best pieces out there. One of my favorite's year round! They are durable too! If you don't necessarily need a hood, the new cirrus is an awesome piece. I own both and plan on using the cirrus until Late season when I will go with the hood. The aero wool is a great top along with the Dobson boxers. I've been working out and shooting with them the past few weeks and they breath VERY well. I know you have the kanabs but man, the corrugates are the s***!!! You won't be disappointed in any of the pieces you are looking to add. Good luck in 16'

The Springer vest is my favorite piece. I just got Minaret Aerowool crew and Stormtight pants but haven't had a chance to test.

I find myself reaching for the Uncompahgre often, hunting or non hunting...very good warmth to weight ratio...plus the Kanabs and Chama 1/4 zip does me well for the western seasons I usually hunt.

Big fan of ASAT.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the puffy is a must have. Might pull trigger on fleece too but still undecided. I think the Corrugate Guide pants and areowool 1/2 zip will be next year purchase. Thanks again for the input, I appreciate all the input.

The Springer vest is my favorite piece. I just got Minaret Aerowool crew and Stormtight pants but haven't had a chance to test.

I've kicked around the idea on getting the Springer. I've never really worn a vest but it seems like everyone that starts never goes back.

Does the best fit similarly to their other merino pieces?

Well, I can't say much about the actual products you are asking about...but I can say this:

I have several 100% real wool sweaters that family members have made me over the years. I believe a couple of them are made out of Merino and the other is made from Alpaca and after using them for so long, I wouldn't trade my wool for any synthetics.

Don't get me wrong, I still use synthetics for base layers, but wool on top of that keeps me very warm, even when wet.

I've kicked around the idea on getting the Springer. I've never really worn a vest but it seems like everyone that starts never goes back.

Does the best fit similarly to their other merino pieces?
Seems like it fits like most other vests I have (yeah, I love vests for outdoor activities). Trim-ish but not tight. I can easily put a few layers under it w/o feeling tight. For reference, I'm 6'1", 185ish and the medium fits perfect.

First Lite Kanab 2.0 pants are my absolute favorite hunting pants and i have pants from several different companies. I've used them for two CO elk hunts and are the most comfortable hunting pants I own. While they are not the most durable pants, the comfort makes up for this small flaw. The merino wool is made of rip stop material and small tears are easy to repair. When these wear out, I'll buy another pair. You definitely need to consider Kanab's.....SORRY, I JUST REREAD YOUR POST AND SAW THAT YOU HAVE KANABS!

Last edited:
You HAVE to have an Uncompahgre. You simply do. It's so versatile, so packable, yet so warm you can't not have it. It's not rated waterproof, but it sheds light rain and snow very well.

Emrah

I bought one as my first piece of FL gear. Loving it so far can't wait to try it out in CO this fall!

Yes, I know, the Uncompahgre has been mentioned many times already, but that and the Chama hoody really are great. I used those and trekking poles for the first time this past season - wish I would have discovered all that gear decades ago.

Not to high jack the thread but I have a question about First lite. How can it be so warm but so thin? From pictures I assumed the Kanabs had a bit of density/thickness to them, finally found a store that had some and boy was I wrong. I'm looking for a full suit for a SE MT mule deer hunt late Oct.

Not to high jack the thread but I have a question about First lite. How can it be so warm but so thin? From pictures I assumed the Kanabs had a bit of density/thickness to them, finally found a store that had some and boy was I wrong. I'm looking for a full suit for a SE MT mule deer hunt late Oct.

Merino wool my friend! I have the Kanab 2.0's and used them all last season from 70's in early October to below zero in late November. Just have to layer up when it gets cold. The base layers don't cut wind, and aren't meant to, but they to keep you very warm and dry.

Just got my Unpronounceable puffy yesterday and can't wait to put it to use this fall!

I would complete agree with the puffy as a must. But as much as I love First lite, I don't think a synthetic puffy needs to be camo. I found a great deal on a solid brown from Basin and Range on backcountry.com, saved a boat load of money.

I would complete agree with the puffy as a must. But as much as I love First lite, I don't think a synthetic puffy needs to be camo. I found a great deal on a solid brown from Basin and Range on backcountry.com, saved a boat load of money.

I ended up going with the light brown one. a little cheaper than the camo one plus I had a discount code so got a good deal on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back