First kids backpack trip

wa_archer

Thought I’d share exciting trip for me. Took my 6 and 7 year old on a 5 mile deep backpacking plus scouting trip. Kids have been on some day hikes but they were excited to sleep away from the truck. I didn’t exactly pick the best day as it was 100 as we left the house but at the trail head that lowered to 87. The trail was dusty and hot the first couple miles through old burn before turning up a creek drainage where we stayed cooler for the rest of the hike. After dinner I took off and climbed the ridge to glass for deer until dark. Returning to the family asleep I crawled into my bivy as the two person was too small for all of us. I awoke bright and early just as it was getting light to have another glassing session. My son 6 pops his head up “dad can I come with”. You sure can but it’s steep about 800 over less than a mile it’s more like a climb. He struggled right up it and we had a blast glassing and watching the mountains come to life. We never did spot anything but it was the most enjoyable “unsuccessful” scout trip I’ve had and they were both asking when we would go again by the time we got to the car. 7DFCC556-8E61-47B0-B6D0-41E047709C1D.jpeg

Awesome, that's a good trek, you got some tough ones. I took my 5 and 7 yo on their first trip last year, just did the mile to Tiffany Lake, but they're ready for a longer trip this year, we've been doing some day hikes with the packs for warm up. Want to take them to a lake I know of with real nice fish, but it's about 7 miles with a hard ascent at the end, so feeling them out to decide if they're up for that one.

yeah they both agreed a lake should be the destination next time. I guess the creek wasn't enough water for them.

Back