First Gobbles of the Year

Argylesox

Well I have been e-scouting for a Colorado elk hunt for the past two months and sent in my application last week. Suddenly I had a lot more free time in the evenings and I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Saturday night while drinking an adult beverage on my deck after working cows the better part of the day, I could have swore I heard a turkey gobble. After listening awhile longer and hearing nothing, I chalked it up to wishful thinking. Got up early on Sunday and was enjoying a cup of coffee while watching the sun came up and darn near burnt myself when a gobbler cut loose about 100 yards from the house. When all was said and done I heard three different birds. Guess they were happy about the time change. New calls are ordered and I believe I will pattern the shotgun this weekend because April isn't that far off. Hopefully one of my nieces or nephews will want to go on a youth hunt this year. Turkey season is almost here folks, good luck!

Got my first ones this week in Western Montana. Early. Makes me wonder about how the season will look.

Got my first ones this week in Western Montana. Early. Makes me wonder about how the season will look.
Sunday was one of the first warm and clear mornings we have had here in Missouri, so my guess is that has a lot to do with it. Personally I think it may help me if they start breeding a little early this year. With the amount of hens I have been seeing it may be a little difficult to call one in otherwise. I tend to have my best luck the last week of season. Whether that is because they are easier to call in or its because I throw caution into the wind and get very aggressive with my set ups, is to be determined.

I've been seeing strutting and hearing gobbling Turkey's for a few weeks now while out shed hunting. Makes a guy all warm and fuzzy inside. Unfortunately I probably won't get to step in the woods this spring season in VA.

First gobble last week on public land. They've been going to town on private though since early Feb.

I haven't stopped to watch birds yet here in CO, but I have not noticed any strutting yet. They might be gobbling, but we had 2 inches of snow a couple of days ago and more coming on Friday. Otherwise the weather has been very spring like.

We have birds close and I can't wait to some day here them at 100 yards on our property.

Gobbling good on the roost here in Colorado but once they hit the ground it's over.
Thank you for the feedback. I really do not get too excited until late April, but still find myself out on opening morning.

We just had blizzard conditions here yesterday. It might shut the local birds up for awhile.

I will plan on hunting plains birds first before chasing them on the Front Range.

Got a spot I'm dying to hunt for the first time out east. Let me know when they start talking, may take a scouting trip.

They should be talking for the opener, but depending on the birds you are hunting they will be henned up most likely. How far east are you headed? Shoot me a PM if you want.

SE near Springfield

Sweet. I am not sure I will have much intel until about the day before the opener. The birds we hunt use the same roost tree during dispersal year after year. I plan to scout the day before and see if they are still there. If not we have several back up areas.

I may get really crazy and scout the weekend prior.

Yeah, it's a 4 he drive for me, not easy to scout but there can be a lot of birds if you know where to look. We see them everytime we deer hunt, 1st time going specifically for turkey. Cant wait

Called one in Sat. He hung up at 55-60 yds. Strutted and gobble for an hour, but never closed the final couple of yards to give me a shot. Will be back out there after him soon.

Back