Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

First ever elk hunt, CO-Unit 67

Hello All,

I drew a bull elk tag for unit 67, second season rifle. My dad, a buddy, and his dad all have tags and are headed to the unit in October. This will be my first ever elk hunt. I'm coming from the midwest and have been reading and studying elk and elk hunting as much as I can. We play to hunt La Gartia Wilderness as it is a roadless area and pack in. Our dad's are in their late 50's and not in great shape. We wanted to get away from the traffic though and thought getting off the beaten path in roadless areas was the best way to do this.

Any advice for a Newbie to help make his Dad's first and likely last elk hunt a successful one?

Any advice on Unit 67?

Any other advice for a first timer. I have spent lots of time in the backcountry, but never hunted so looking mostly for hunting advice and unit advice.

Thanks (much appreciated) and Happy Hunting!!

Welcome to hunttalk.

There are a couple hundred tags, people spread out pretty well because it isn't 1000 tags. I hunted it third rifle. Elk will be at different elevations depending on snow before and during your hunt. I started too high in the wilderness. I saw the most people up along the fringes of the roadless stuff, but all the sign was a week or 2 old and headed downhill. Work up and down ridges until you find fresh sign and then keep the wind in your face and move quietly. Good luck!

Depending on weather, getting back into La Garita during 2nd might be challenging. Have a backup plan.
Thanks! I’m coming from Minnesota so I’m comfortable with snow and cold but not sure what to expect as far as roads and how much snow to expect. Thanks for the heads up!

Our dad's are in their late 50's and not in great shape.
I don't know what you mean with that, but I've been to the La Garita and the bottom is somewhere around 11,000. I'm not a fitness guru and think a lot of the kEeP HaMmErInG convo around what's needed to kill an elk is overblown, but late October at 12,000 feet on a first elk hunt is one that might make me reconsider. There's a real good chance you find yourself needing to get down in a hurry; assuming he gets up there, will your dad be able to do that?

Lot of the Wilderness in 67 is rock and ice and the stuff that isn't has a bunch of trails through it anyway...

Congrats, do yourself a favor for those guys, buy a couple rolls of lueko tape. We wrap out feet in that stuff. No blisters=better time hunting=seeing elk=belly full. Also glass glass glass. Wake up early and glass those ridges. especially south facing slopes. That’s where the elk are. Early am late pm south facing slopes. Good luck keep us updated

Last edited:
I’ll be honest u r getting in over head if you have zero experience and your dad isn’t in great shape. To get into the wilderness there your starting off at the creek bottom and going up from there all up as far as you wanna pack into. And the chance for weather is pretty good. I was there last yr and the wilderness already had quite a bit of snow second season. We didn’t attempt going in because there was a lotta snow already. If it were me, I’d pick some areas outside wilderness u could day hunt.

I hunted 67 this past fall - but it was September muzzleloader season

the wilderness isn't for the faint of heart - heck, neither was some of the non-wilderness "ridges".

most of the hunters in September were in / around the wilderness - I killed my elk elsewhere in the area

good advice above - keep moving till you find undisturbed critters and have fun

Looks like you will be between 9,000 and 11,000'. As a flatlander you need to drink massive amounts of water from the minute you leave home. Don't forget advil or Tylenol. I have seen multiple people brought to their knees by altitude sickness. Spend the next 2 months working on cardio and lung capacity. It usually takes 2 or 3 days to climatize so getting there before you plan to hunt can help mitigate. I spent 35 years in Minnesota....dont be overconfident, Colorado can be way more rugged. Good luck!!

I have read about buying all terrain tires? Do people feel that is worth it? I have 1 year old tires that do well in the snow here in MN, but obviously that’s a lot different than forest service roads in colorado in November. Any other tips, I’m learning as much as I can and appreciate everyone’s advice!

Trying to escout, but a lot of the roads go through private property. Do you guys know if you can drive on them or can the land owner block the country road? Hard to know what parts of the unit I can access. Planning on discussing with local biologist as well!

Thanks again!

Spend some time making your own map of the unit and the areas you plan to hunt. Watch Randy’s digital scouting videos (and others as well) and mark key terrain features and get a sense of elevation changes along your planned entry and exit.

I can’t recommend onx maps enough for planning, and also for use during the hunt when changing to “plan b” due to weather or lack of sign or some other challenge arises. I usually have at least 3-4 Options laid out on my map before I leave for the hunt.

Trying to plan alternative areas after your one and only option didn’t pan out is no fun. Having options also helps you to keep hunting through the physical and emotional challenges that you will surely encounter during your hunt.

Lastly, enjoy everything about the experienice. Even coming back with an unfilled tag from a hunt like that should be a rewarding experience.

Good luck.

Reactions: SDW
No expert here, but I’m in my 50’s. Tell the dad’s it’s not too late to do some physical training in preparation for the hunt. Being in somewhat decent shape sure makes it more enjoyable.
Good luck

Congratulations on your first Elk hunt and experiencing it with friends makes it better.
You guys are lucky to get the chance, from what I read in these forums the
“R’s” don’t want the “NR’s” anywhere in their western states.
You have gotten what may become a rare opportunity. Good Luck gentlemen.

Back