Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First Elk Hunt

Guitarman1562

I wanted to share a quick summary of my first elk hunt in CO. The success of the trip was majorly due to fellow hunters helping me. So thank you if we connected before the hunt!!

My two brothers and I researched for awhile where we wanted to hunt and decided SW CO. We had hunted growing up but never gone backpack hunting.

Day 1: We had 1 day to scout and 3 days to hunt. On scouting day we saw two bulls fighting and decided to hunt there opening morning.

Day 2: Opening morning we had a 6 by 6 at 181 yards and had other hunters coming in at the same time. They were much further away but saw him at a distance come down into the valley where we were. We got closer to try and hold our ground and accidentally spooked the elk. Once he was up they started shootings at a pretty far distance and took him down. It was a bummer for sure and do not know if they saw us. I really wasn’t sure how to handle this situation besides being aggressive but we were much closer on the elk. I suppose that is how public land goes. After that we didn’t see any other elk the rest of the day.

Day 3: We hunted hard again waking up early waiting. We saw a herd moving and started to close the distance. I was concerned that again we would have them shot from under us. At 400 yards we had to stop the stalk as we had cows 50 yards to our left. I decided to take the shot on my brothers shoulder as the medium size bull passed through our window. He was a 5 by 6 and good size to us! The big boy was staying way behind and they were both bugling which was amazing. If we had tried to get the big boy I think they would have spooked and the not would have been further and uphill. I wanted aThere were 3 bulls total in the group and the cows were super close. We could hear them stomping. I scoped the bull to make sure he was legal. Took the shot off my brothers shoulder and he didn’t take a step. So thankful for the quick kill.

We are still in shock it happened. We were over 5 miles in where the shot took place. Physically we were worn out after the trip but it was such a great bonding experience. It was a trip of a lifetime for first elk hunt. Harvesting the elk was a bonus as so many other aspects were memorable. Being outdoors, quality conversations, meeting other hunters and just experience God’s creation was the most amazing experience.

Hope everyone is having a great season!

-Kyle

Attachments

• F1D2CF11-A4CD-410B-BCEF-7C6DEB537A79.jpeg
    F1D2CF11-A4CD-410B-BCEF-7C6DEB537A79.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 90
Well done! Sounds like a great trip with some great memories! With this being your first elk hunt I recommend investing in some shooting sticks. More stable and more safe than your brother's shoulder. Congrats!

Well done! Sounds like a great trip with some great memories! With this being your first elk hunt I recommend investing in some shooting sticks. More stable and more safe than your brother's shoulder. Congrats!
That’s a good idea! I had invested in a Harris bipod but I think shooting sticks would have made more sense.

Congrats, that is a lot of success in your first trip.
Thank you! We were hoping to see elk and were in them everyday we were there. It was truly amazing. It was also a bummer to have one shot from under us. I was not sure how to approach the situation being my first time but it all worked out. Hope your season is going well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back