First Elk Hunt Weather

Exactly.

I’ve done a couple Dec-Jan hunts where it got down below -15, but it was car camping so it wasn’t that bad.

I did the sleeping back within a bag route as well, I think I did a 20 degree synthetic inside my 15 degree down bag, also slept with layers on. It’s not that bad.

I think our resident scamping expert @DouglasR probably is the best person to ask about how cold is too cold.
Stahp wllm, you’re making me blush.

At those temps at the truck as long as I had a 0ish degree Walmart bag, some basic field and stream or whatever base layers, a puffy and a stocking cap I would be 0% concerned.
Prob don’t even need all that stuff.
Roll the windows down a bit to keep the condensation down.
Don’t try making spaghetti with meat sauce on the Coleman 2 burner on the tailgate if it’s -10.

Stahp wllm, you’re making me blush.

At those temps at the truck as long as I had a 0ish degree Walmart bag, some basic field and stream or whatever base layers, a puffy and a stocking cap I would be 0% concerned.
Prob don’t even need all that stuff.
Roll the windows down a bit to keep the condensation down.
Don’t try making spaghetti with meat sauce on the Coleman 2 burner on the tailgate if it’s -10.
Cool, all of these replies have tapered any concerns this greenhorn once had. Just need a bigger truck now. Tried a few times sleeping in the cab of the Colorado last duck season and it was tiny. Might try again though! Thanks again

Cool, all of these replies have tapered any concerns this greenhorn once had. Just need a bigger truck now. Tried a few times sleeping in the cab of the Colorado last duck season and it was tiny. Might try again though! Thanks again
I should’ve read the op closer...
I would do the bed tent or regular tent over the cab in those temps as long as you have aforementioned puffy and vase layers.
I’ve used an rei all season bivy several times in the snow in the bed and it’s pretty convenient and prob more comfortable than sleeping in the passenger seat.
Heated passenger seat is pretty awesome for waking up I g the morning though if you have that.

Def appreciate the feedback. Like I said, going to be my first one so it’ll be an adventure! Stay tuned
Good luck! I’ll be just south of you with a deer tag. You should be fine in those temps with a good sleeping bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back