Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

First Elk Hunt Weather

Runnin_Chupacabra

Getting ready for my first cow elk hunt in CO driving out later this week. I’ll be camping at the truck, have a truck bed tent and a regular tent, and will have a heater in the tent. My question is, how cold is too cold? At what point do you consider getting a hotel? This will be a solo trip, have an InReach.

60ED8E76-B40D-4D82-BCF0-F4D814736A71.png

I certainly wouldn't be concerned.

I have truck camped to around -20F with a +15 degree rated bag - not recommended.

I've also been comfortable at -10F in a -10 degree rated bag (a Western Mountaineering one, which does make a difference vs most).

When you're at the truck, you've got options and a lot more safety net vs if you're many miles in.

It isn't a problem if your mustache ices up. It is a problem if your toes turn black, or your earlobes snap off.

It isn't a problem if your wash basin water freezes. It is a problem you can't feel your fingertips stirring your coffee.

It isn't a problem if your carcasses on the meatpole freeze. It is a problem if YOUR meatpole freezes.

We'll be right there with ya hunting this coming weekend up near there -- but in a tent (no heater). It will be cold! I will have my 0 degree bag but I will also have layers (wool, fleece, and probably 2 puffy jackets) plus a sleeping bag liner for extra warmth (https://seatosummit.com/products/th...NpHNVKvhVQRDwPpr73-Muf7JWOJ6h8CRoC2n4QAvD_BwE)

If you're truck camping you can add extra sleeping bags (literally a sleeping bag within a sleeping bag).

1BD707B2-F1BA-43DD-B92A-CA43C2408B01.jpeg

I’ve done multiple hunts in zero degree wether in a tent not made for the winter. In a truck with that weather your gonna be sleeping with your bag half open all night. The biggest secret is not sweating. If you sweat your going to get cold.

Getting ready for my first cow elk hunt in CO driving out later this week. I’ll be camping at the truck, have a truck bed tent and a regular tent, and will have a heater in the tent. My question is, how cold is too cold? At what point do you consider getting a hotel? This will be a solo trip, have an InReach.

View attachment 246169
I’m arriving Thurs in Meeker. Not a fan of the single digit stuff, but that just means a tent heater. Looks ok the rest of the 2nd season though.

We'll be right there with ya hunting this coming weekend up near there -- but in a tent (no heater). It will be cold! I will have my 0 degree bag but I will also have layers (wool, fleece, and probably 2 puffy jackets) plus a sleeping bag liner for extra warmth (https://seatosummit.com/products/th...NpHNVKvhVQRDwPpr73-Muf7JWOJ6h8CRoC2n4QAvD_BwE)

If you're truck camping you can add extra sleeping bags (literally a sleeping bag within a sleeping bag).
Exactly.

I’ve done a couple Dec-Jan hunts where it got down below -15, but it was car camping so it wasn’t that bad.

I did the sleeping back within a bag route as well, I think I did a 20 degree synthetic inside my 15 degree down bag, also slept with layers on. It’s not that bad.

I think our resident scamping expert @DouglasR probably is the best person to ask about how cold is too cold.

----- Tangent on Warm Pants -----

If any of you have a special lady in your life, these pants are awesome. I've had them two winters now up where we live in the sticks where it has been 30 below.

If you have a reallyreallyreallt special lady who belays you when it's ski season, goes on 4th season hunts with you, and generally does all sorts of cold shenanigans with you....well Mr Ammo knows these are on my Christmas list this year.

----- Tangent on Warm Pants -----

If any of you have a special lady in your life, these pants are awesome. I've had them two winters now up where we live in the sticks where it has been 30 below.

If you have a reallyreallyreallt special lady who belays you when it's ski season, goes on 4th season hunts with you, and generally does all sorts of cold shenanigans with you....well Mr Ammo knows these are on my Christmas list this year.
Thank you for the tip! Mrs. Redman is very cold blooded but loves going out with me. Please post any other gear that is a must have for the woman hunter 🙏

Thank you for the tip! Mrs. Redman is very cold blooded but loves going out with me. Please post any other gear that is a must have for the woman hunter 🙏
My only other must are these pants for bird hunting/anything bushwacking (I use them for trail work/pheasant hunting/pre-snow fall season ranch "things"): https://www.proishunting.com/collections/pants/products/pradlann-field-pant?variant=40845253640366

The person who tuned me in on them is a pheasant hunting guide / farmer / rancher / dog breeder and all around badass lady so when she recommended these I took the rec pretty seriously!

I also love my Carhartt insulated overalls for hanging out around the campfire. They're hard to move in and heavy as shit so impractical for backpacking but great for drinking beer at the truck.

View attachment 246169
If you have warm gear and heater o wouldn't worry biut cold

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back