Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

First batch of jerky is in the smoker!

npaden

Decided to make some jerky out of the 3rd deer I've shot so far this year. First batch of jerky I've made in a while. Used the Hi Mountain brand seasoning and cure mix. Inferno blend plus some left over cajun seasoning. First time to try it in the smoker though. Seems to be turning out really well based on the first taste test.

C86E0675-5BB1-4D15-BDB9-BD094B100F1C.jpg

I think I'm going to try to make my own summer sausage using one of the Hi Mountain kits with the grind from this deer.

You must like your jerky HOT! We also use the Hi Mountain stuff, usually just Cajun. I'll add more spice mix than called for just to spice it up a bit more. I do it in the oven, though.

It is pretty spicy.

Finished up, 15 pounds of meat ended up about 7 pounds after smoking it. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Yep to hot for me, I like the cracked pepper and garlic from hi mountain they have some good seasonings. I do mine on the smoker as well and really like the finished product.

It ended up taking about an hour and 45 minutes for each batch at 200 degrees which is the temperature they recommended. Seemed a little quick to me, but I think it turned out pretty good. I let the temp get up to 250 on the first batch and some of the thinner pieces got a little too crunchy, but not too bad.

Back