First Archery Buck (Click for good news!!)

jlong17

This forum is in need of some good news, so I figured I'd share a quick story of my latest Mule Deer hunt.
Over the last couple of years I have transitioned from relatively new hunter, to that of a mentor to a couple of local friends dabbling with the sport. I have walked them through basic gear acquisition, general application information, and was able to help them get their first bucks last year; providing me with an opportunity to show them how to "gut and gill". It has been a very fulfilling process. I don't give them all the nuggets, but enough to demand they dig deeper for themselves. All of this led to spring 2023. We did not have much luck with applications, but I was able to draw a general archery tag out of state. It created the perfect opportunity to both stretch my skills as a hunter and teach these guys what little I know about chasing deer in the mountains. I tossed an invite their way to see if they wanted to join me on a little adventure... they jumped on it.
Throughout the spring and early summer we stayed in contact. We kept each other accountable to staying in shape, testing our equipment, and formulating a plan of attack on the mountain. The day quickly arrived, and it was time to head out. The forecast showed 10 days of rain. It was a bit intimidating, but we were committed to getting out to learn and hopefully find success. The next week would be exactly as you would expect in a high country, archery deer hunt. There were tons of challenges, highs, lows, curse words, and words of praise and gratitude. I had a heck of a time...
71401969886__530FE03A-B909-48B0-8AD9-0B27B7B357ED.jpeg

We showed up and made camp a day before season opener. Camp went up in a hurry, and we made our way to a glassing point to see what the mountain would be offering. I've grown up hunting deer in southern California, so I am lucky to spot a few deer per glassing session. My expectations were the same on this hunt. So when the late afternoon came and dozens of deer started making their way out to feed, I was blown away. It was downright beautiful. I had never seen high country mule deer in their summer patterns. They looked so majestic with their bright coats and gorgeous velvet antlers. It was almost like fireworks exploding in the green grass as the bachelor groups made their way out of the dark timber. We all sat and watched quietly, occasionally interrupting the silence with an "Ooooo" and "Ahhhh". The sun set behind the mountain, ending our glassing session but providing us with a beautiful view that I hope to never take for granted.
The opener would be here in less than 12 hours, and things were looking promising!

IMG_5002.jpeg

We all woke up to rain pounding the trailer. None of us are really morning people, so not much was said. We knew we would be hiking and sitting in the rain, but at least we would be hunting! We made our way to the glassing knob and found ourselves hunkered under a tree, constantly wiping the lenses from our binoculars. This would become the norm over the next several days. As the rain finally let up we were able to lay some eyes on several bucks. I have never harvested a buck with my bow, so honestly my expectations were that I would be coming home with a tag. I didn't want to shoot something really small, but I also wanted to get some confidence by punching a tag. Pretty much all of the bucks we saw got my heart pumping. I don't know if it's because they look so much bigger in velvet, but I was so amped to have a chance at them. After looking over several deer and seeing the feed/cover they were using, I slipped into the timber to try and ambush them. I'll spare you guys of all the details, but essentially I am not nearly as stealthy as I thought I was. I was either spotted or heard everywhere I crept into. It became pretty frustrating as I blew every stalk and ambush. Yes the wind would sometimes be the culprit, but I was quickly learning that I needed to step up my game.
Several days passed, and we were all getting wet and humiliated. The bad news was I couldn't get within bow range, but the good news was there were several opportunities. I was providing my buddies with great examples of what NOT to do. I went back to the drawing board and decided to switch up my tactics. We had slowly learned the mountain better, and seen what habitat the deer were consistently using. I decided still hunting would be the best option. The weather had become even wetter, so I believed the deer would be sheltered from the wind and rain. I selected a patch of timber adjacent to feeding areas and picked it apart.
View recent photos.jpegIMG_1088.jpeg

IMG_4594.jpegIMG_4584.jpeg

After typing and deleting several times I'll just come out and say it. I shot and missed two deer, ok. On the first occasion I was sitting down under a tree to escape the elements. I saw a flash of tan about a hundred yards out through the trees. I adjusted myself underneath the tree to allow for concealment and the ability to draw should he step into range. I was fully expecting him to come out on my left, but lo and behold he stepped out 30 yards from me on my right hand side. I shifted myself under the tree and attempted to draw. In the process I hit a large branch with my draw arm, and made quite the commotion. The buck was on edge, and as the shot broke he ducked to the floor. The arrow zipped over his back and landed somewhere in the next county.
On the second whiff I simply shot the incorrect range. I came around a patch of brush where he was feeding, I ranged him at 40 yards. I crouched back down, knocked an arrow, crept around some brush, and let 'er rip. It went right over his back. In the time I took to prep for the shot, he had clearly moved closer and I didn't account for it... although my brain was screaming at me to consider it. Oh well. It's part of the learning process. I was just happy to be getting the reps in with my bow. My buddies were starting to doubt I knew anything about deer hunting, but they persevered with me. We returned to camp with mixed emotions, but convinced tomorrow would be the day!
IMG_1109.jpegIMG_1108.jpeg

If i could blow a stalk or two a day for a week, I'd be a happy hunter. At least that'd what I tell myself. I'm sure it get frustrated eventually 🙃

We woke up this final morning with remnants of Hillary beating down this deplorable hunter. It was noticeably more wet and windy. For a split second I wanted to stay in the comforts of the trailer. I think we all did. However, I thought of the 10 previous months of wishing this time of year was here... and it was here indeed. We laced up our wet boots, put on the last of our dry clothes, and took the ice off my bruised ego. During the drive to the trailhead I told my buddies I would hunt slowly through the trees by myself while they set up on a protected glassing knob looking for some afternoon prospects. I selected a reliable timber patch, and slowed wayyyy down. I crept through the trees as the daylight came. I would take 5-10 steps and then stop to glass through the openings of trees. I did this for about an hour. I was moving toward a know feeding area, so as I got closer my anticipation increased. My expectations were confirmed when I spotted antlers 80 yards out in the trees. I adjusted myself to get a better look and stepped on a stick. The buck snapped his head my way. I was in an exposed opening with only a few young evergreens nearby. I stood still as could be for 10 minutes or so until he settled back down. When he settled in I noticed 2 more bucks bedded behind him, also looking my way. The next 2 hours I stood in that one spot, watching these 3 bucks sleep and chew their cud. During that time I was getting hammered by the wind and rain in a totally exposed opening. I had no cover, no chance to move in closer. I had to let the situation develop. I had to have patience and confidence. After the longest 2 hours passed, one of the bucks got up to stretch. This encouraged the others to do the same. They shook off the moisture from their coats, and began to slowly feed. I used this time to cut the distance along a pre-selected path of travel (after all, I had so much time to study the quietest route). I got to within 30 yards of the 3 bucks, and was able to see the one I wanted to shoot at. He stepped behind some cover, and I drew my bow. He stopped to look my direction after coming around a log, and I let 'er rip. "Thwack". It sounded good as they ran off into the trees. An adrenaline dump proceeded, and my cold body became warm. I walked up to the point of impact and saw blood and hair on the log. I knew he was hit, but my next challenge came into full view. My blood trail was starting to wash away. I got to a spot to call my buddies and let them know of the situation. They were already celebrating and congratulating, but I told them the hunt was far from over. We needed to slowly grid the area as fast as we could. Oxymoron, I know. I wanted to balance the need to find blood before it washed away, and take the care not to bump him if he was still alive. I walked back to that point of last blood and started stroking my mustache. A habit my wife says I do when I am intensely pondering or worried. After a short prayer, I looked up and saw my buck. He was only 20-30 yards from point of impact. He was laying down and dead in the grass the kept him alive for the previous months. I was relieved. I sat quietly until my buddies arrived. Such a great hunt. So many lessons learned, and so many challenges overcome. Thanks for reading!
IMG_5481.jpegIMG_1132.jpegIMG_1131.jpeg

If i could blow a stalk or two a day for a week, I'd be a happy hunter. At least that'd what I tell myself. I'm sure it get frustrated eventually 🙃
The frustration is by far outweighed by the excitement!! hahah

Yes finally some hunting threads!! Following!
I didn’t have to wait long. Congrats!!
No kidding. I've been waiting for the hunt threads to get us off the non-hunt related content!!!
Thanks! It was a great time:)

We woke up this final morning with remnants of Hillary beating down this deplorable hunter. It was noticeably more wet and windy. For a split second I wanted to stay in the comforts of the trailer. I think we all did. However, I thought of the 10 previous months of wishing this time of year was here... and it was here indeed. We laced up our wet boots, put on the last of our dry clothes, and took the ice off my bruised ego. During the drive to the trailhead I told my buddies I would hunt slowly through the trees by myself while they set up on a protected glassing knob looking for some afternoon prospects. I selected a reliable timber patch, and slowed wayyyy down. I crept through the trees as the daylight came. I would take 5-10 steps and then stop to glass through the openings of trees. I did this for about an hour. I was moving toward a know feeding area, so as I got closer my anticipation increased. My expectations were confirmed when I spotted antlers 80 yards out in the trees. I adjusted myself to get a better look and stepped on a stick. The buck snapped his head my way. I was in an exposed opening with only a few young evergreens nearby. I stood still as could be for 10 minutes or so until he settled back down. When he settled in I noticed 2 more bucks bedded behind him, also looking my way. The next 2 hours I stood in that one spot, watching these 3 bucks sleep and chew their cud. During that time I was getting hammered by the wind and rain in a totally exposed opening. I had no cover, no chance to move in closer. I had to let the situation develop. I had to have patience and confidence. After the longest 2 hours passed, one of the bucks got up to stretch. This encouraged the others to do the same. They shook off the moisture from their coats, and began to slowly feed. I used this time to cut the distance along a pre-selected path of travel (after all, I had so much time to study the quietest route). I got to within 30 yards of the 3 bucks, and was able to see the one I wanted to shoot at. He stepped behind some cover, and I drew my bow. He stopped to look my direction after coming around a log, and I let 'er rip. "Thwack". It sounded good as they ran off into the trees. An adrenaline dump proceeded, and my cold body became warm. I walked up to the point of impact and saw blood and hair on the log. I knew he was hit, but my next challenge came into full view. My blood trail was starting to wash away. I got to a spot to call my buddies and let them know of the situation. They were already celebrating and congratulating, but I told them the hunt was far from over. We needed to slowly grid the area as fast as we could. Oxymoron, I know. I wanted to balance the need to find blood before it washed away, and take the care not to bump him if he was still alive. I walked back to that point of last blood and started stroking my mustache. A habit my wife says I do when I am intensely pondering or worried. After a short prayer, I looked up and saw my buck. He was only 20-30 yards from point of impact. He was laying down and dead in the grass the kept him alive for the previous months. I was relieved. I sat quietly until my buddies arrived. Such a great hunt. So many lessons learned, and so many challenges overcome. Thanks for reading!
View attachment 289431View attachment 289433View attachment 289432

Is that a fletching in the heart!?! Pretty damn cool!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back