First Aoudad hunting trip

Tom_Nguyen

Hello

I will go Aoudad hunting in south west Texas coming soon, please give me tips and advice.

I am appreciate for you experiences.
Tom

GET SNAKEBITE GAITERS. And not for snakes, for the other pokey stuff.

Bring more water than you think you need.

Have the best glass you can afford.

Bring a spotting scope, with phoneskope if you can.

Take a thick seat cushion.

Be prepared for long plays on animals.

Be prepared for long shots.

Know how to navigate in loose rock that has steep cliffs.

GET SNAKEBITE GAITERS. And not for snakes, for the other pokey stuff.

Bring more water than you think you need.

Have the best glass you can afford.

Bring a spotting scope, with phoneskope if you can.

Take a thick seat cushion.

Be prepared for long plays on animals.

Be prepared for long shots.

Know how to navigate in loose rock that has steep cliffs.
Thank you , I will go by your lists, I do need to get the gaiter for sure.

Knee pads, leather gloves, hot climate water quantities, an appetite for disappointment, tripod for your binos, clothes that can handle prickly things or that you don't care about, sunscreen, leather boots (stickers go right through cordura.) A way to take your sheep apart quickly so you can really enjoy it (aoudad is delicious).
Oh, and take some luck...

Knee pads, leather gloves, hot climate water quantities, an appetite for disappointment, tripod for your binos, clothes that can handle prickly things or that you don't care about, sunscreen, leather boots (stickers go right through cordura.) A way to take your sheep apart quickly so you can really enjoy it (aoudad is delicious).
Oh, and take some luck...
Thank you

I think everyone has nailed it so far. I also bring old Danner leather boots not my current Kenetreks. The rocks in that country just eat my soles up and destroy the leather. I also bring tweezers or a Leatherman to pull out cactus needles (see pic). I haven't run into rattle snakes in NM yet (haven't hunted Texas) but generally don't wear gaiters simply because of how hot they get. In my experience they don't just stay in a canyon either. You could spot them in one canyon before dark and overnight they end up a few canyons over. I would also be very aware of daylight and making sure you give yourself plenty of time to get out before dark. It can be really tough to navigate the terrain by headlight. Finally, if you find one and get in shooting range really look around to make sure you actually have a way to get to it if you kill it. I think your in for a great time, Barbary sheep hunting awesome.

Attachments

• 20201103_152709 (1).jpg
    20201103_152709 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
I think everyone has nailed it so far. I also bring old Danner leather boots not my current Kenetreks. The rocks in that country just eat my soles up and destroy the leather. I also bring tweezers or a Leatherman to pull out cactus needles (see pic). I haven't run into rattle snakes in NM yet (haven't hunted Texas) but generally don't wear gaiters simply because of how hot they get. In my experience they don't just stay in a canyon either. You could spot them in one canyon before dark and overnight they end up a few canyons over. I would also be very aware of daylight and making sure you give yourself plenty of time to get out before dark. It can be really tough to navigate the terrain by headlight. Finally, if you find one and get in shooting range really look around to make sure you actually have a way to get to it if you kill it. I think your in for a great time, Barbary sheep hunting awesome.
Thanh you

Get some shooting sticks and get good with them and as stated they move a lot so don’t get down. Keep at it, stay behind the glass and stay optimistic.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back