Caribou Gear

First antelope

danwolf

By the advice of a member here I tried going for a special Wyoming tag and drew my last choice and turned out to be on my normal days I have to work...but as my work project turned out I had days off starting Wednesday. Shot my rifle Thursday, dropped it on my stairs before going to the range actually and it still is dead on. Anyway I flew up to Denver and rented a truck (live in Texas) Friday.

I got to my first choice spot yesterday morning and immediately was ran over by a heard moving away from hunters, but didn’t have time to set up. Later I got on a group with a young buck and passed. They ran off when a oilfield truck came by and as they ran I saw a decent buck join them. I cut them off and they ran when I stuck my head up too high. I ended up calling it a day then around 3 pm to go to church.

I went back to the same spot, I saw maybe 4-5 shooters so I figure why not go back. It was a mile walk to the first group I saw. I got on them, but they moved, so I went to flank and got seen as I glassed them. There was three decent ones and one buck with huge cutters. They ran off to private land. On the way back to the truck to go to another unit I saw more about 3/4 mile away. I took my time crawling up the hill to them and it was a group of does on the edge of BLM/ private coming my way. I pondered an hour thinking should I leave or wait on a lone buck to come, but it was a mile back to the truck why not wait. I went back to my pack for a snack and 20 more came to the group I was watching (bedded by then). One nice buck was with that group, so by 250 yards I set up my bipod and waited on him to close in less than 200 yards. Then he just started walking right at me (I think for water that was behind me). I made a 110 yard frontal shot. Just a tad of bloodshot neck meat.

I had the most action packed hunt I’ve had yet, yeah limited access in this unit but they were there. New pronghorn junkie now, didn’t take too many pictures as I rushed to get him quartered and on ice.

3F27DE1E-59B6-4482-A25A-01907479E5D0.jpegA78DD737-F510-4AC5-9EC4-CDF438DBB6EE.jpegEF018CA8-2571-419E-A295-7D62859666BC.jpeg

Nice job on the antelope. It doesn’t have to be a race to get them on ice.

Thanks all y’all. Definitely fun to hunt! I’m still picking cactus out of my knees and elbows.
Yeah that cactus is the gift that keeps on giving. You’ll be digging that stuff out a month from now. Makes for good memories and a good story if someone’s wondering why you keep scratching at your knees though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back