MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

First Antelope Tag Ever! SE NM

There are some real studs down that way. I haven't archery hunted them yet, but there is plenty of info around the site to learn bits and pieces from. Remi Warren did a podcast on archery pronghorn hunting IIRC.

I also keep track of the thunderstorms in the unit. If there is good rain, the smaller tanks will hold water and the Pronghorn will be able to use a larger area. Get out and scout for tracks to determine which tanks are being used. Good luck!

I have a late rifle tag for the same area.

Jace Basuerman has a pretty good short book called Bowhunting the Prince of the Plains about archery antelope hunting. You can find it on Amazon. It’s a short read. I’d recommend it.

Waterhole is most productive, but damn it's a boring way to spend a few days. Pronghorn are just as stalkable as any other animal, and stalking them is more fun than anything I've ever done while hunting, it also taught me a lot about hunting

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for filling an archery antelope tag? I drew my first antelope tag for August 4 in NM. Thank the Lord!! I work in the oil and gas industry and see them quiet often. However, I have never hunted them!
My 16 year old daughter was also lucky enough to receive a pronghorn tag in SE NM this year. She will be in GMU 30. which unit did you get?

Waterhole
My daughter was lucky enough to receive a donated tag for Unit 30 in NM... They have had a lot of rain lately so there is supposed to be water everywhere! Does more rain equate to bigger/lusher plant life that might give more cover for stalking?

Waterhole is most productive, but damn it's a boring way to spend a few days. Pronghorn are just as stalkable as any other animal, and stalking them is more fun than anything I've ever done while hunting, it also taught me a lot about hunting
My daughter was lucky enough to receive a donated tag for Unit 30 in NM... They have had a lot of rain lately so there is supposed to be water everywhere! Does more rain equate to bigger/lusher plant life that might give more cover for stalking?

It may. Now that there's water everywhere, sitting water will be less productive.

Sit water. Agreed. If you set up a portable ground blind however, enter it slowly. Rattlesnakes love them for the shade.

So I have a antelope bow tag in central NM and we have water everywhere, not sure how productive sitting water will be at least around here cuz there's water in every low spot. I'm trying spot and stalk and bought a stalker decoy so hopefully that will help out the success. Also at least in my unit grass is really tall as well

I was blessed with Unit 31

Back