Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Fire

MTBirdhunter

Spent Tuesday afternoon and evening in Sheridan county, taking a few supplies to firefighters battling a fire that apparently started by a combine from what I understand, I heard it had burned 12,00 acres NW of Medicine Lake. Thankfully it is now contained. The winds were blowing up to 40 mph for a couple of days, but I understand Helicopters were deployed to help fight this monster and apparently they worked along with ALL that work the firefighters on the ground did, thanks to all that helped and thankfully from what I hear, there was no one injured or worse. Just a reminder how quickly things can change, the NE has been pretty moist this summer, but now with a stretch of dryer weather, there is a lot of fuel for a fire to go. With some hunting started for antelope and others starting soon, remember, to DROWN THEM OUT! Don't leave vehicles idling in tall grass or fields, don't drag chains or other parts, and be prepared to stop a fire.

Thanks for coming to help! :)

Last word I heard from DNRC yesterday was 8600 acres and 20 water dumps - not sure if that was a progress report or a final. Sounds like some people lost some equipment and maybe outbuildings, but they managed to save all the homes that were threatened. That was one of 10 fires started between Sunday/Monday in the area - mostly started by vehicles and equipment.

All that early moisture created a lot of fuel, and hot dry conditions since late July have made it nice and crispy. Landowners are pretty jumpy about fire right now, so please keep that in mind as you hit the field next week!

Things seem to have quieted down here in the Bitterroot. In the past week we've had several small ones they got right on top of. Season still isn't over yet, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back