Fire and Drought are a rough Combo

AustinL

Thought I would share with you all some pictures of my families 960 ranch that we hunt on here in Texas. We have had the perfect storm of weather conditons to make for a really hard year on the stock and wildlife.

We had fire come through and burn the pasture in May and have had a grand total of 2.5 inches of rain since then. There has been little to no regrowth with the exception of some mesquite trees comming back from the base.

We have moved all the stock off the place and have been doing what we can to help the wildlife. We have about a 10% fawn survival from the summer and will be sitting this deer season out on this property.

Thank goodness for generous friends as I have other places I can get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Attachments

• DSC_0062.JPG
    DSC_0062.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 233
Welcome to the forum.

My place down in Fisher county burned up back in May too. It's only 160 acres though. Still no significant rain down there since either.

worst_of_burn.jpg

Here's a close up of that tree in the foreground of that picture with my son and his friend standing beside it.

burn_tree_down.jpg

Before it burned a wildlife biologist who looked at my place said some of the mesquite trees were over 200 years old. 100% of the big mature mesquite trees on my place are gone now. :(

Thankfully there is plenty of public land out west that I can still hunt on!

Last edited:
Our place is also in Fisher county sounds like the same fire got you guys. Were about are you in the county? We are just north of Rotan where the crop land meets the breaks leading into the Double Mountian Fork of the Brazos.

My place is in south east Fisher county. Near Claytonville. It would have been a different fire, my place burned up on Mother's day, May 8th.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back