Fine Dining

Elkhunter

Lack of Any Money at All Leads to Restaurant Arrest

A New Jersey homeless man's lack of money is no impediment to fine dining, reports the Newark Star-Ledger.

Brian Patrick Cahill was arrested last Wednesday night at the Fireside Restaurant in Denville, N.J., after racking up an $88.95 bill on filet mignon, shrimp scampi, premium Canadian whiskey and a few beers — and then telling the waitress he had no way to pay it.

Charged with theft by deception and thrown in the Morris County Jail, Cahill told cops he'd pulled off the stunt dozens of times across northern New Jersey.

"I don't go to rinky-dink places, only fine restaurants," said Cahill, who while dining for free usually wore black slacks, a navy blue T-shirt and black sneakers. "I'm surprised they serve me."

The night before his arrest, Cahill had eaten a big steak and downed five beers and five shots at a Parsippany restaurant — then walked over to the owner to show him his empty wallet.

"If he would have come in like a gentleman and said he was homeless and hungry," said Harold's New York Deli owner Spiro Gizas, "I would have been more than happy to feed him and probably give him some money."

At Harold's, Cahill was arrested, charged with theft of services and released.

"I do it mainly for two reasons," he explained to the newspaper. "I'm hungry and I want to get intoxicated."

Two years ago, Cahill ate $26 of shrimp and kebabs for lunch at a Morristown restaurant, washing it down with a $30 bottle of wine. The owner declined to press charges.

Later that same day, Cahill gobbled up $46.59 worth of food and wine at another place in the same town, then was arrested and released.

Despite the culinary adventures, Cahill plans to tackle his drinking problem and admits what he's doing is wrong.

"The police are right. Theft of services is considered a crime," he said. "Crime doesn't pay. You wind up going to jail."

He may end up in jail, but stealing drives up the cost of every thing that buisness has to sell. He needs to go visit that county in Az that is set up like a tent city....

You would think that the restaurants would have his picture and name up to be on the look-out for him...But you have to admit,,,it took some hangers to do it....

Hunterman(Tony)

Elkchsr, I think you are referring to Sheriff Joe Arpaio from Maricopa County, AZ. I didn't get the wonderful opportunity to see tent city but I would hate to be a felon in AZ especially during the summer...hot as hell and it can't be any better in a dang tent.

"I'm hungry and I want to get intoxicated."
At least he is honest and by the sounds of it he gets away with this type of behavior a lot. I'm glad to see someone actually turned him in but he'll be right back at it once he is out for sure.

What is the downside for him. He eats, he drinks, he doesn't pay. They call the law, he gets arrested, he eats, he sleeps, in jail he still doesn't pay.

Very True whiskers. It is Sad to see people like that but they are just scamming people all the same. If it was young adults who were the ones that were doing the good old "Dine and Dase", they would not think twice about arreasting them for the crime, so why this guy keeps getting off is just wrong. These people who are letting him go are not doing him or other victims Justice. This man is a criminal and he needs to stay in jail where he belongs. If I was the one doing this same crime I would pay the price, so does this gentleman!!

You think this is bad, another trick they do here in Southern NJ and I have seen it more than once. Remember I drive the NJ Transit bus. The police pickup a homeless person, or vagrant whatever you want to call them. They take them to the nearest bus stop, wait with them until the bus comes along, and pay the fare to get this person to the next town. Usually cost the cop $1.55, but they would rather do that, than do paperwork. If a person gets on the bus, and doesn't have the fare, and we refuse to let them ride, the police are called, they come and pay the fare. Just to get the guy out of their town.

If any of you guys see a man wearing black slacks, blue T shirt and black sneakers at the Ohio GT; Sing Out!! :eek:

Hey; maybe Applebee's could give him a job!! :eek: You know; " Eatin goooooooooood; in the neighborhooooooooood; Applebees!!!" :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back