Finally fired Amazon Prime today. Alternatives?

elkduds

Learned today that free Prime returns now involve a 100 mile round trip from my home in Canon City to a UPS store in CO Springs. Or I can pay the Zon for a shipping label.

Eff that noise. They offshore their profits to avoid taxes, treat their help like androids and pull the business rug out from under smaller local retailers.

What alternatives to this Evil Empire do you prefer? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Amazon just had their annual prime day sale. 24 hour period they received 300 million orders. Incredible.

I like www.zoro.com for tools, construction, etc.

For shoes i do zappos or shoebuy.

For clothes its hard to beat jcpennys.

Work clothes from duluth trading.

Auto parts from rockauto.

Last edited:
We quit Amazon for the most part about 2 years ago. Their business model is undoubtedly fantastic, most convenient way to satisfy everyone’s urge for instant gratification the world has ever seen. I do what I can to shop smaller retailers and buy American but that is not always possible or feasible.

I quit Prime last year. Nobody offers a similar service without being equally evil.

Why is Amazon evil? Pretty strong words. They sell stuff FFS. mtmuley
Off of the top of my head, terrible working conditions, vindictive retribution against employees advocating for better conditions, tax avoidance, hocking counterfeit/products resulting from IP theft, anticompetitive behavior.

I cannot speak for OP, but I dislike them primarily because as I customer I do not feel I can trust them. Any seller can apparently list items under any SKU, whether it’s the authentic article or not. In addition, to counterfeit goods, they have a rather sizable counterfeit review problem. They can easily fix either of these problems, but choose not to.

I also find certain lower cost items to be marked up. I assume this to cover the cost of “free shipping”. I find that sleazy.

I also think that Bezos is a scumbag.

Off of the top of my head, terrible working conditions, vindictive retribution against employees advocating for better conditions, tax avoidance, hocking counterfeit/products resulting from IP theft, anticompetitive behavior.
One click and the stuff is to my door. mtmuley

One click and the stuff is to my door. mtmuley

Yep. Not denying the convenience. People will bemoan the death of local businesses and how the world isn't like it used to be, but hey, they get some retail therapy in two days.

Yep. Not denying the convenience. People will bemoan the death of local businesses and how the world isn't like it used to be, but hey, they get some retail therapy in two days.
It's funny. Kind of. Living right and supporting the "good" things is tough. Here where I live, Wal-Mart is a bad word. If they come it will ruin what we have. This is the funny part. The new folks here that don't want the Wally World have already ruined what we had. Amazon is what it is. I don't use them exclusively, but don't feel bad when I do. mtmuley

My wife calls them up and requests a return label. The local feed & seed is our UPS drop off or she just runs a truck down. Living rural Amazon prime has been a great time and money saver for us.

I like Amazon because I hate shopping. I just went to three stores today, to find the beer I like. What a waste of time and I know I spent more on gas than I did on the beer. So, whenever I can buy something without leaving the house, I'm loving it. America is built on Evil Empires. Even most small local businesses I know under pay and mistreat their employees. That is why most of them can't fine enough workers. Nobody wants to work for them.

Learned today that free Prime returns now involve a 100 mile round trip from my home in Canon City to a UPS store in CO Springs. Or I can pay the Zon for a shipping label.

Eff that noise. They offshore their profits to avoid taxes, treat their help like androids and pull the business rug out from under smaller local retailers.

What alternatives to this Evil Empire do you prefer? Thanks in advance.
If Amazon is an Evil Empire, then I guess I support evil. I'm sure my holy-roller neighbors probably think my daily glass of whiskey is evil as well. Coincidentally, I recently checked, and I can even get whiskey through Amazon... maybe I need a better Evil Empire!!!

I hate how low their shippings costs are while I recently had to pay $60 to overnight some legal paperwork with UPS.

If you know the product you want, it's a no brainer. Not any different than using any other online retailer. mtmuley

Guilty Amazon junkie. My USPS shipment tracking looks like Pigpen’s dirt swirls, up and down the eastern seaboard. With Amazon, I can track the exact truck it’s on and know how many stops before it gets to my house.

Re the tax evasion: welcome to modern corporate america. Ask your trusted elected representatives to change it and see what happens.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back