Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fierce Edge

Rebell

I am looking for a new lightweight custom rifle and looking at the carbon barreled Fierce Edge in 300 RUM. Anyone have any thoughts or experience with one. Everything I have read seems good.

I checked their stuff out at the hunt expo....seemed like high quality stuff, never talked to anyone who has actually used one though.

Lingered at their booth during SCI Dallas two years running....nice tricked out Sako looking wares indeed.

John Mogle formerly of Christensen heads up Fierce. I know of a smith in Montana that can build you a lightweight RUM without the needless carbon fiber barrel. mtmuley

Thanks for the responses.
Mtmuley- I have never owned a carbon wrapped barrel. I have not heard of many drawbacks other than cost. Although cost is one of the deciding factors, I would like input regarding why you think it is needless.

Thank you for your input.

I don't see any benefit to the cost of a carbon barrel. Put the savings toward better optics where it is a benefit. mtmuley

FWIW, Here's my understanding of the pro's and cons's of Carbon wrapped barrels...

Pro's: Lighter than full steel construction, Stiffer than full steel construction, larger diameter faster cooling

Con's: Carbon wrap is more brittle than steel, the barrel is far easier to damage or chip than a full steel barrel, Price, Larger diameter makes for fewer stock options. Not all sporter stocks will accept a barrel as large as most carbon wrapped barrels are. Drastically thinning the foreend of a sporter stock to accept a barrel this large can make them flexible, and I wouldn't really recommend it (personal thoughts). Next time you see a rifle with a carbon barrel, try to push the stock to the barrel, I bet you can... Try the same thing with a sporter rifle with a steel barrel and you will see what I mean... Foreign pressures from the stock to the barrel are not great for accuracy and repeatability when shooting...

Ultimately, the biggest thing to remember is that a carbon wrapped barrel that doesn't have a high quality steel barrel underneath isn't going to shoot well. You have to start with a quality barrel to finish with a quality barrel.

I have handled a few of the Fierce rifles. They seem like quality firearms. From what I understand, they are Sako 85 knockoffs being manufactured in Canada and assembled in UT. They are drilled and tapped for Remington 700 Long action bases (even on the short action rifles), and use most Sako replacement parts. Sako magazines are interchangeable. And Might not be a bad option as Fierce list 4 in the magazine for standard calibers while the Sako mags will take 5.

If you are interested, Sportsman's warehouse and Bob Wards here in MT both are putting a few Fierce rifles on the shelf. With a standard Steel barrel, most have been selling for somewhere right around $2000. The Bob Wards in Missoula had a Carbon Wrapped .300RUM in a really stupid thumbhole stock on the shelf for a while, not sure if it's still there or what the price was, but I want to say it's about a $800-1000 jump in store for the carbon barrel.

Were it my call, I'd either get a steel barrel and put the extra $$ into better optics, or if the budget allowed for the optics I want and the carbon barrel, I'd probably spend a little more and get a rifle from GAPrecision, H.S. Precision or another full custom. most of those start right around the $3K mark.

Out of curiosity how did you land on a flyweight 300 RUM?

I'd burn through that barrel in 3 years or less, and I don't really shoot that much. Even if all other things were equal that'd be a big reason even semi serious shooters don't carry carbon wrapped rifles around. For the price I'd want a known builder...GAP, Surgeon, Gradous, etc. but to each their own.

I think a light RUM would be a great rifle. Mine isn't bad at about 8 pounds with scope. Any lighter and a brake would be a good idea. I'm with MKotur325.Have a quality smith build you a rifle. mtmuley

I'll pass on the lightweight RUM.

I've got a couple carbon fiber jobs and really like them. Both shoot lights out and are lightweight. Never had any issues with them other than having to pack out all the critters they've killed.

I get the efficacy of a carbon, just can’t get past the chubby aesthetics. A stainless fluted looks ‘right’ to my eye and reconciles with my shallow engineering understanding.

And they work.

The only real full benefit of a carbon barrel (some are wrapped, some are laid length wise) is heat dissipation. If you are shooting lengthy series from a bench or competition scenarios it is a big plus.....for hunt purposes the light weight can be attained without the need for carbon. I have nothing against them but for most hunting folks it is truly more of a gimmick than a necessity. If you want a GREAT lightweight rifle without carbon and aren't tied to a RUM look at the Seekins Element ( offering closest would be 300 WM and PRC and 28 Nosler) For reference nearly everyone one of the salesmen in our shop has at least one Seekins product.....great value.

Left handed? I didn’t see the option on their website.

I'll admit that I'm stuck on Savage, but I couldn't help but notice that the "Lightweight Storm" rifle that I bought for my daughter (.308) actually weighs less than their carbon-barreled Ultralight. Its also less that half the price. I could think of no reason to go with the carbon fiber version, though her barrel does heat up quickly, its of no concern for hunting, and not worth the extra $800.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back