Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

field judging moose

nmtaxi

I wanted to see if y'all had any good tricks for this. I know that if it's facing me, the moose should be about 10" from eye to eye. So, two times that on each side will give you 50". That trick works pretty good watching a video, but will be a lot harder in the field with a 48" bull staring at me, and an itchy trigger finger
. It seems to me that the best way to judge trophy quality if from a profile view. If it's paddles are close to the hump, it's a big one. Any other tricks?

Thanks Moosie. I've seen both videos. I've also bought several other videos and books. I guess the only way to get good at it, is to look at lots of moose. I've gotten pretty good at judging them on screen, but we'll see how good I am when I see it in person, and the heart is pounding. I can't wait!!!!

The safest way is to find one with enough brow tines...

I've hunted them 3-4 times and have had some experience trying to judge them....Even the little ones look huge if you haven't seen very many Moose... I could identify a 60 incher as a keeper, but if they are much smaller than that, they better have the 3 or 4 brow tines that are required in my unit..

The last moose kill I was in on was a 55 incher...
It was a 3 brow tine area and my spotting scope showed 3 prominent brow tines on one side...

Good thing, because I would not have dared shoot him otherwise...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back