Few hours woodcock hunting in the UK

devon deer

Sorry for the poor quality photo, couldn't get my phone to stand up!
High winds and rain didn't make for a productive time but it was exciting stuff.
IMG_20221230_143715016_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

They are a beautiful bird and taste great
IMG_20221230_143831733_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg

We couldn't find 1 woodcock and also lost a pigeon
IMG_20221230_154252349_HDR.jpg

Some interesting fungus
IMG_20221230_150316420_HDR.jpg

A typical granite tor on Dartmoor
IMG_20221230_150043242_HDR.jpg

Haytor on Dartmoor, a tourist attraction
IMG_20221230_153501509.jpg

Waiting for dark when the ducks flight in, except they didn't the area has had so much rain they didn't come in, what didn't help was one of my young friends was seen (if you zoom in you can see him wearing a white bobble hat!), so the 3 ducks that were dropping in saw him and flew off
IMG_20221230_163413415_HDR.jpg

Cheers and happy new year

Richard

Last edited:
Very cool, would love to see more UK hunting photos. Are these the same woodcock as found in the U.S? I walked up on one the other day and almost caught it with my hat! They are almost impossible to see until they walk or fly. And they never seem to fly far so you can get 2, 3, sometimes more flushes from a single bird.

Very cool, would love to see more UK hunting photos. Are these the same woodcock as found in the U.S? I walked up on one the other day and almost caught it with my hat! They are almost impossible to see until they walk or fly. And they never seem to fly far so you can get 2, 3, sometimes more flushes from a single bird.
Here's an interesting article. Al Stewart recently retired from our DNR here in Michigan but was the head of our woodcock banding program. He had great stories and photos to share of trips to the UK when we'd have bander meetings.

The woodcock is such a challenging bird to hunt, you can almost step on them before they fly, then its a case of 'shoot em before they shit' because as soon as they do they strart to 'chink', then its a guessing game!
Once they are away fly usually fly some distance, we found most hunkered down in thick gorse.
We have some resident woodcock, but most fly down from Scandinavia, it has been really cold this year, and so we had quite a few down south, but it appears they have migrated even further south and we are seeing less.

The wood pigeon, we shot them when we got out of the 'ancient' woodland into the fields, but it was gale force winds and we reckon they were moving at 60mph+, quite a challenge!

We will go back a couple more times before the season ends on 31st January, so back hunting deer tomorrow

Cheers

Richard

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back