PEAX Equipment

Federal Trophy Bonded Tip for .300 Win. Mag

dcopas78

I have been shooting several different loads through my .300 win mag Savage model 111 in an effort to try to find the best shooting round for the upcoming season. I am stuck with factory rounds this season since I haven't yet picked up the dies for the reloader. I was planning on using Barnes TTSX 180 grain, but the gun just doesn't like them all that well. I was shooting about a 2.5" group at 100 yards, but I definitely knew the gun could do better. I believe that lighter 165 Barnes would do better, but at $45.00/box it gets expensive trying. I definitely will after I get the reload dies though.

I bought some Remington 180 grain corelokts that shot well through it, with a 1" group at 100 yards, but I am leary about fragmentation if I would happen to hit an elk shoulder. I know they will do the job, but I just wasn't comfortable taking a chance on an elk. Just me personally. They also tended to spread out a little more at 200 yard, and 300 yard.

I have always liked Federal ammo as well, so I went to the local sports store and saw the Trophy Bonded Tip 180grain. They had them on sell for $35.00/box so I picked up a box to try. They shoot really well through the gun, 1" group at 100 yards, and they hold the grouping well through 300 yards (about 1.75").

My question is; since I have never used the Bonded Tip bullet can anyone on here enlighten me with there experiences with the bullet? Weight retention/ bullet expansion?

Thanks,
Derek

I used them in my .270 before I got my .300 and switched to accubonds but I loved them. They took a few elk with ease. I couldn't tell you weight retention or anything cause I don't remember finding any bullets but I know that they hit hard and shot well. It's not much info but hope it helps!

I would not hesitate to use Remington Core-Lokt bullets.Eastmans did tested several bullets quite a few bullets by firing them into ballistic gel and the Core-Lokt bullets penetrated and held together as well as many of the "premium" bullets costing much more.
I have shot 2 cow elk using these bullets and they performed perfectly.
Three years ago my brother shot his AZ bull with a 30-06 using 150 grain core-lokt bullets and they worked perfectly. The one I dug out had penetrated through the shoulder angling rearwards through the liver and lodged just under the offside hide.

I've used the trophy bonded tip on several elk out of my 270. Only recovered 1 bullet, retained about 90% of its weight. Took one with my 308 with the same stuff and didn't recover a bullet. I've been pleased with it, accurate and does the job for me.

Thanks for the input. I think I will like them considering how accurate they shoot from the gun.

Back