Yeti GOBOX Collection

Federal QC

Benfromalbuquerque

Has anyone else seen QC issues with ammo manufactured after the pandemic started? I bought a blue box of Federal 270 Win 130gr from Cabela’s some time last year and shot it last month and saved some of the brass.

Rifle is a new Savage 110, shoots everything alright. First mag or so was fine, though I did notice dark primer pockets.
Then I got a blown primer, just blown the hell to pieces! Shit. My ejector was forced back and had to jimmy it out of lockup. No damage and rest shot fine.
I did notice on saved brass that new primers seated easy. The pockets aren’t too loose to hold and there was some resistance seating, just easy to seat.
Anyhow, have you guys experienced the same problems lately with factory ammo?

Bought a blue box in 7mm HT just as the pandemic started. Had a fired round foul in the barrel. Upon checking had 3 cases that had zero powder in them.
That’s some whackness! I got excessive pressure overloaded bullets and you got unloaded!!? I recall that there was minor blue staining on and around the primers before I shot those bullets. Did your 7mm have that blue too?

I've been buying various 7mm Rem Mag with copper bullets to find the best round for a new gun. In the process, I bought some Browning brand (made by Winchester) in 139gr. to try. Upon inspection, I found that the bullets were seated inconsistently, so I returned it. I found the issue across multiple lot numbers. It wasn't just one box. Winchester was very good about accepting the return and absorbed all the costs. I now inspect every round I buy asap and more closely than I did pre-COVID lockdown.

I've been buying various 7mm Rem Mag with copper bullets to find the best round for a new gun. In the process, I bought some Browning brand (made by Winchester) in 139gr. to try. Upon inspection, I found that the bullets were seated inconsistently, so I returned it. I found the issue across multiple lot numbers. It wasn't just one box. Winchester was very good about accepting the return and absorbed all the costs. I now inspect every round I buy asap and more closely than I did pre-COVID lockdown.
Ok! That’s that’s something to hear that it is not limited to Federal, more like industry-wide. I think there was a lot of retooling for specific calibers as well as reduced work force. Then consistent demand over two years and shit bullets was the result.

Federal has had this problem even before the pandemic. My brother had some .308 Gold Medal Match ammo do that to him several years ago… blew primers.

IME Federal brass has always sucked, very soft, so I’ve never counted on reloading it anyhow. It tends to only last a couple of loadings except for low pressure cartridges like 30-30

Late last year bought 4 boxes of Federal Non-Typical...2 boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor 140 grain for my new Browning X Bolt Maple Medallion, and 2 boxes of .308 150 grain for my new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Probably shot around 10 rounds per rifle. So far, all have shot great and very accurate. I don't reload, so no issues there.

Federal has had this problem even before the pandemic. My brother had some .308 Gold Medal Match ammo do that to him several years ago… blew primers.

IME Federal brass has always sucked, very soft, so I’ve never counted on reloading it anyhow. It tends to only last a couple of loadings except for low pressure cartridges like 30-30
My first blown primer was enlightening, but thought that would come from a reload. Personally I select Remington or Winchester though Federal was the only brand on the shelf that day. Winchester crimps hard so I’ve noticed more trim necessary in reloads. I’ll use the 15 Federal I kept as one-time reloads and leave them where they lay for some range pickup stooge to learn about Federal.

Late last year bought 4 boxes of Federal Non-Typical...2 boxes of 6.5 Creedmoor 140 grain for my new Browning X Bolt Maple Medallion, and 2 boxes of .308 150 grain for my new Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. Probably shot around 10 rounds per rifle. So far, all have shot great and very accurate. I don't reload, so no issues there.
Sounds like a good batch! If anything ever goes sideways though, you’ve got company with Federal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back