Federal Premium TBT Ballistics Accuracy?

ElkHunter80

I am currently using a 2019 Savage Model 110 Hunter chambered in 300 Win Mag, shooting the factory load of Federal Premium TBT 180 grain. The scope is a Leupold VX-3i CDS ZL 4.5-14x50. I'm looking for some feedback on the accuracy and "trustworthiness" of the ballistics info right off of the box of ammo. Is this load known to be inconsistent with velocity? Is it accurate enough to obtain a CDS dial from Leupold with it? Is this a poor choice of bullet for a scope with CDS dial??

Thanks!

Welcome! Nothing wrong with the bullet selection as long as it shoots well from your rifle. Generally what’s on the box is pretty optimistic, should definitely find a chrono to verify the speed for a cds dial. The better info you give Leupold the better that dial should work for you.

I've also found the info on the box (Hornady as well as Federal) to be a little optimistic. Not too far off, but you should check it.

Big fan of the TBT. Good choice. Possibly my favorite bullet design; it's performed great on the handful of critters I've shot with it.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! OK - next question related to this...knowing that a box of TBT's is not cheap, if I go to the range and shoot through a chronograph to confirm the MV, how many shots (minimum) is "enough" to check it? I assume I just get an average MV to then provide to Leupold? Thanks again!

As a follow-up, I was able to verify MV with a chronograph. The average was 3035 fps. The manufacturer's label on the box advertises 2960 fps...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back