Favorite style/type of fishing and favorite place to do it ?

I enjoyed the Mahi and Sailfishing in Costa Rica. Sadly those pictures were lost. Redfish around the oyster bars in the heat of summer are just plane fun. eager to find small streams in the smokies to chase trout ive never done that.

I don’t know how I just found this thread. Some awesome stuff.

I caught the fly fishing bug hard as a kid, and mountain trout streams were all I thought about. Particularly golden trout in the South Sierras. Bonefish are fun, as are bass. Striped bass fishing in Lake Powell is a hoot, chasing the school around the back coves. I also love bouncing jigs in shallow water for rockfish and lingcod off the coast of Oregon.

But if I had to put down the place/fish/style of fishing that has hooked me deepest and that I’ve obsessed over the most it’s have to be swinging flies for steelhead on the Deschutes River in central Oregon. A hot steelhead hitting a swung dry fly like a bowling ball has been dropped in the water is a religious experience.

53514073-B3A8-4F46-BE49-7DD0C2396E77.jpeg

I caught the fly fishing bug hard as a kid, and mountain trout streams were all I thought about. Particularly golden trout in the South Sierras. Bonefish are fun, as are bass. Striped bass fishing in Lake Powell is a hoot, chasing the school around the back coves. I also love bouncing jigs in shallow water for rockfish and lingcod off the coast of Oregon.

But if I had to put down the place/fish/style of fishing that has hooked me deepest and that I’ve obsessed over the most it’s have to be swinging flies for steelhead on the Deschutes River in central Oregon. A hot steelhead hitting a swung dry fly like a bowling ball has been dropped in the water is a religious experience.

View attachment 129158
When I first got married, my wife's family had a small cabin in Maupin, Oregon. After one trip to the Deschutes it was confirmation that I was marrying the right women. 😁

Last edited:
Summertime- casting jigs and plastics for walleyes and jigging lake trout.

Wintertime- chasing jumbo gills, perch, and crappies through the ice.

View attachment 129158
I held one of the BLM jet boat permits for the deschutes years ago. Let it go 10 or 12 years ago. When I’m done guiding in Alaska I’ll be spending a lot of time on that river. You are absolutely right, there really is nothing like it.

Fly fishing small streams in Alaska. Particularly like spring steelhead, fall silvers, and big rainbows on mouse patterns

Thank you for sharing guys. A lot of people who like to fish and are very good at it on the forum .

I am little surprised that very few of us enjoy fishing in the ocean. I also enjoy the rivers and lakes, but the ocean also presents some pretty interesting challenges.

Regardless, hats off to all you fellows, some very good fishermen here. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us

April, on balance and speaking only for rmyself and we do both

freshwater is ( for us ) easier to get to, cheaper , and even easier and/or more relaxing. Also some get sea sick.

We have tons of good fishing around here, but my favorite is a drop-shot rig fished from a boat in my private lake, or a spinner fished from the bank. No public hassles.

I am preparing to fish. After 30-35 yrs of not having tied a single fly, last night I tied a few. This is only intended for smallmouth in the river that runs through my property, but I'm slowly gearing up to hunting salmon off of POW in spring 2021. I bought an 8 wt rod from an estate sale last weekend and tied my first fly last night.
Matuka Grizzly 2020.jpg

I am preparing to fish. After 30-35 yrs of not having tied a single fly, last night I tied a few. This is only intended for smallmouth in the river that runs through my property, but I'm slowly gearing up to hunting salmon off of POW in spring 2021. I bought an 8 wt rod from an estate sale last weekend and tied my first fly last night.
View attachment 129297
Get it wet. It'll fish.

Pinch that barb down BrentD, the ear you save could be your own.

I hope that new to you rod fishes well, may your line be tight often.

Flag up!!!! Something about running to a tip-up flag up knowing there could be a 40" pike on the other end gets me excited! Also really enjoy pitching cranks for walleyes, sitting on a river bank catching cats, or floating a bobber with a sucker for whatever is hungry. Catching tarpon in the passes of the Keys is also majorly addictive! Drag screaming, fish leaping 4' in the air, probably the most exciting fish I've caught.

I enjoyed the Mahi and Sailfishing in Costa Rica. Sadly those pictures were lost. Redfish around the oyster bars in the heat of summer are just plane fun. eager to find small streams in the smokies to chase trout ive never done that.
I thought you Florida guys chased Snook as a passion

The Smokey's I have fished many times. That was great back in the 80's anyway. We always met for a week of fishing during spring break. That brings back some great memories - and even of catching a few fish! The Smokeys are amazing in the spring when they just start waking up from winter. Good luck on that!

88, Im a little north for regular Snook habitat, my neck of the woods its offshore for grouper and snapper, inshore for redfish and seatrout.
Damn it BrenD you had to go get all poetic about the Smokeys now there's something in my eye and Ima have to buy jewelry for the unexpected road trip Im about to take.

My favorite fishing is inshore saltwater. Spottails (redfish) speckled trout and flounder. A close second is fishing our tidal rivers for largemouth and stripers. I go offshore a couple of times a year but it’s not my favorite.

Depends. I am lazy and like cast-bait fishing for trout and kokanie salmon a lot. I also like to fish for crappie. When I go to North Platte I like to go for Pike and a few others. I am lazy on fishing because I like to sit in my favorite chair, beer in one hand and eyes waiting for the pole to bend. LOL

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back