Favorite style/type of fishing and favorite place to do it ?

Europe

I have been asked several times in the last few days about fishing. I do enjoy some types of fishing, but not others. I also do not do some very well and dont like some styles at all.

I tried but was terrible at fly fishing. I have never tried "noodling" but watched others do it. I like to scuba diveing but do not like spear fishing when diving. I hate ice fishing. And it was always hard for me to go slow enough to troll properly. and "combat" fishing in Alaska was stupid and dangerous IMHO

Although it was interesting catching Piranha in Brazil, Tiger in Africa and octopus in Asia, my favorite is Marlin.

I love Marlin fishing and love fishing for them from Cairns, Australia . I have always enjoyed Cairns, the barrier reef, the rain forest, the beaches, the city, and the Marlin fishing.

If you like Marlin fishing, I would head to Cairns. Also if you scuba, the barrier reef is a wonderful place to do so. Approx an hour or so from Cairns is a lodge called Bloomfield. Rent their Bloomfield suite and enjoy the rainforest, beach, marlin fishing, scuba diveing and then relax at night in your in room hot tub and freshly cooked meal in your room by one of their chefs and of course several glasses of fine wine (-:

BTW--are trotline's still legal ?

What is your favorite type or style of fishing and where do enjoy doing it ? and thank you for your responses

I used to fish from the cabin deck with a .22 rifle. It was about 30 ft straight down to the water :)

The best fishing is whatever fishing is available and at hand. And I need to start doing a LOT more of it.

Growing up it was fly fishing for bluegill and floating the Roanoke river in a canoe for bass. Kayak fishing off the gulf coast for kingfish and mahi mahi is up there as well. Now I get my kicks fly fishing tiny streams.

Europe, you must not have spent enough time at Bloomfield. It's for sale.

It used to be Halloween Muskie fishing in Eagle Lake, Ontario. Shivering, numb fingers, sideways snow and giant muskie. Now, it is more like shirtless, flip-flop, bass fishing in mid-summer.

Fly fishing for trout. Usually I find hard to get to small mountain streams that are rarely if ever fished.

Any kind that ends with a good catch of fish that I like eating. I don't care for catch and release. This will be my 19th season running a charterboat service on Brownlee Reservoir fishing mostly for panfish and catfish. For myself I like to fish on the boats off the OR/WA coast. Rockfish, lingcod, salmon, halibut and crabs. Someday I'd like to do a Devil's Lake ice fishing trip and walleyes anywhere. Some of the best trips I've had were houseboat trips on Lake Powell in the 70's.

I really enjoy pike fishing in the rivers...though for some reason I seem to only be able to catch them in one specific spot.
I recently learned to fly fish to honor my great grandfather. He was crazy about fly fishing as I'm sure many Montanans are. I didnt think I would like it very much, but it has turned out to be very fun and interesting. I've learned so much about reading the river and understanding why you pick what flies you do other than they just look good. I'm still learning and it does get frustrating at times, but still very enjoyable.

Fishing in the ocean would be a dream! Definitely on my bucket list along with spearing.

I've bow fished quite a bit in the lakes for carp. It's fun although I feel like for every fish I do hit, theres 100 misses that go along with it.

Three way tie between Dorado/Sail Fish/ Marlin fishing in Loreto, Mexico, Salmon/Halibut along Vancouver Island, BC. and Fly fishing for trout throughout the Rocky Mountains. The quality of the fishing trip is always in direct proportion to the company I am fishing with at the time. These three locations always include close friends and family and catching fish was never a problem.

I really enjoy pike fishing in the rivers...though for some reason I seem to only be able to catch them in one specific spot.
I recently learned to fly fish to honor my great grandfather. He was crazy about fly fishing as I'm sure many Montanans are. I didnt think I would like it very much, but it has turned out to be very fun and interesting. I've learned so much about reading the river and understanding why you pick what flies you do other than they just look good. I'm still learning and it does get frustrating at times, but still very enjoyable.

Fishing in the ocean would be a dream! Definitely on my bucket list along with spearing.

I've bow fished quite a bit in the lakes for carp. It's fun although I feel like for every fish I do hit, theres 100 misses that go along with it.

This is too cool, learning to fly fish to honor your great grandfather, nice. I hope you get to fish the ocean also, you will enjoy it.

We fish the streams and ocean in southeast Alaska, Trout, Halibut, Salmon, steelhead, char rockfish, etc. we go every opportunity we get.

April, I would love to Marlin fish one day, that would be so much fun. Australia would also be a fun visit for me. Combat fishing where the Kenai/Russian converge is a sight to see.

Interesting topic.

I was lucky enough to have a college buddy whose dad paid for me to do a week of marlin fishing on the east cape of Mexico with them. Quite honestly, I wasn't a fan and it didn't even feel like I was fishing. The captain was doing the fishing and I was just there to crank a reel. It didn't trip my trigger.

Give me a beautiful Canadian Shield lake in late May, a 1/8 ounce jig, and a bucket of minnows and I'll be smiling all day long as I'm catching walleyes, bass, pike, and lakers. It's also hard to beat free-lining a live shrimp or sardine in the passes and along the mangroves of SW Florida catching snook, redfish, trout, and any other number of species. It's even better when a week of doing that caps the end of a long MN winter.

I also love about every type of ice fishing. Lake trout are #1 for excitement and taste, but jumbo perch are maybe my favorite.

Lake fishing at Lake San Cristobal, Colorado in August with my wife or son, preferably both. Sunglasses and smiles all day...

Dolphin, orange roughy, or red snapper fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. I would like to try my hand at Tuna fishing and find a place that would make it into Sushi for dinner.

I’ve done quite a bit of Salmon fishing on the Great Lakes and while fun it is not the same as being out on the Ocean.

Back