Favorite Sitka pants?

I have a pair of 90% pants which I love. I have worn them for 2 weeks straight for the last 3 years. So my question is if you were going to buy another pair of pants what would you buy?
Are the timberline pants like 90% pants but with Gore Tex knees and buttocks? Would you go with something new like first lite kanab pants? All opinions welcome.

The Timberline is thicker, therefore stronger and warmer, than the 90%.

It would depend on the application you have in mind. My Timberline Pants are the core of my elk hunting uniform. Not for archery, but pretty much anytime when the temps are 40F to -20F. They are bomb proof and very comfortable. The knee pads are great for hunting in the rocks and mountains. The waterproof seat makes long glassing periods far more comfortable.

You can add different base layers, depending upon temps. I usually leave the trailhead with no base layer, then put on a base layer if it is cold and I am immobile for long periods.

That is exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I know Sitka is a lot of money, but after owning a pair there is no question there worth it. I was hoping the timberline pants were a bit thicker.

Thanks Randy

I used to wear Sitka 90% pants quite a bit. They cut them so tight in the thighs I can't get into a pair now. Good pants if they fit you.

I wear the ascent pants in archery and spring bear. Nice lightweight pant that moves with you and seems to breath well. But my go to pant for rifle or anytime the temps get a bit cooler is the timberline pant. Really like the reinforced knees and seat, extremely comfortable and they don't bind like other pants when stepping over deadfall and climbing steep hills. Easy to layer up underneath to handle really cold days. Camofire had a pretty good buy on timberlines lately, might be something to watch if you are interested in getting a pair

I did see the camp fire sale. I picked up my 90% pants from them a few years back. Unfortunately they didn't have my size in an acceptable pattern.

I used to wear Sitka 90% pants quite a bit. They cut them so tight in the thighs I can't get into a pair now. Good pants if they fit you.
Or you have 'expanded'?:D

I have been looking at Sitka pants, shame i have short legs and a fat middle!
(Hopefully get rid of the middle soon!)

Just for info, the best, and worst pants i have ever bought are Harkila Prohunter goretex, static stalking in cold wet conditions perfect, active stalking, terrible, you just boil!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
I wear the Kanab pants for early season hunts and then switch to the Sitka Mountain pants for later season stuff and generally use thin merino long underwear with them. I think i'd rather have the timberline pants for my late season pant as there the mountain pants are only slightly thicker than the Kanabs.

One thing to consider is...if you wear too heavy/warm of pants you may sweat but if you have several layers you have many more options..and can change things up as things warm up and cool down during the day. i often find myself stripping/adding a base layer on the same day while hunting.

I have used and abused my Sitka 90's and Ascents for years with great results. I have several thicknesses of bottom base layers to choose from depending upon how much hiking I intend on doing and the weather that particular day. I often have an additional rain pant layer that I often bring along..especially where it is either windy or there is chance for rain/snow. The 3 layers are usually enough to keep me pretty toasty. I've used this set up in several states...including Alaska and it has worked very well.

You will also find out that buying several thicknessess of base layers is a lot cheaper than buying several pairs of heavy plus thinner pants.

I have 90% pants but when it gets cold enough to put the Ascents away I find myself going straight to the Mountain/Timberline. The waterproof butt is a great feature of the Timberline.

I use the timberlines pretty much as long as it isn't above 60 degrees or so. If its hot taking the knee pads out helps with breathablility during marginal situations. I have the Sitka Early Season Whitetail for hot weather hunts and they are really cooling, I just don't like the baggy cut. I got a set of ascents for Christmas that will likely replace them for most things.

The Timberlines are pretty amazing, here is a more in depth review I wrote of them http://engineeredpursuit.com/sitka-timberline-pant/

The Timberline is thicker, therefore stronger and warmer, than the 90%.

It would depend on the application you have in mind. My Timberline Pants are the core of my elk hunting uniform. Not for archery, but pretty much anytime when the temps are 40F to -20F. They are bomb proof and very comfortable. The knee pads are great for hunting in the rocks and mountains. The waterproof seat makes long glassing periods far more comfortable.

You can add different base layers, depending upon temps. I usually leave the trailhead with no base layer, then put on a base layer if it is cold and I am immobile for long periods.

What model were you wearing when you were here hunting antelope in NM Randy?

They had the extra layer in the rear & knees I think. Seemed bomb proof.
I have lost a couple insilite butt pads and knee pads over the years...

Or you have 'expanded'?:D

I have been looking at Sitka pants, shame i have short legs and a fat middle!
(Hopefully get rid of the middle soon!)

Just for info, the best, and worst pants i have ever bought are Harkila Prohunter goretex, static stalking in cold wet conditions perfect, active stalking, terrible, you just boil!

Cheers

Richard

Richard I have expanded, there is no doubt about that. :D

But even if I try on larger sizes at the store, they are still too tight in the upper leg area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back