NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Favorite scope magnification?

devon deer

I have had viable power scopes in the past, and still do have one on my .22
But on my .243 and 30-06 they are fixed.
What i found with variable scopes was i always ended up turning them back to 6x
On my previous visits to Montana i have brought the Schmidt and Bender 8x56, but it is a bit of a lump, in fact with the mounts it weighs 2lb's
So i was thinking of swapping them around and put the Schmidt and Bender 6x42 on the 30-06, good idea?

What are your favored scopes in terms of magnification?

The other reason is i am considering buying a Blaser R8 rifle, but they a bit heavier than i am used to, so i thought, shave a bit of weight off with the 6x42 for the Montana hunt.

Cheers

Richard

It depends on the terrain you're hunting, I suppose. I have a 2-7x variable Leupold on my 308 and I seem to have it on 3x or 4x, unless I am in the prairies after pronghorn, when it goes to 7x. I mostly hunt in timbered country. But if you're used to 6x, I would stay with it.

I have been a 3x9x40 variable guy for most of my scoped rifles. Mostly Leupolds. Had a 3x9x50 Leup. on my main hunting rifle til last year. Most of the time set in mid range,4.5.
Now have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5x14x42 R-600 variable. I have it set @ 9.6 most of the time as that is specified for the Rapid Z 600 system for my ammo.
I have the option in low light and differing situations with the variable.
And the terrain/cover here NM dictates a different set-up than my old Sierra highcountry set-up.

I live in NYS and generally, open & long shots are not the norm. I prefer a 2.5-8 or a 3-9. I do not own a fixed power scope other than a 2X Leupold on a handgun! I also have a 4-12 on a 7mm Magnum and really like the high power for bench shooting and testing ammunition. Variable power scopes are my personal preference in all situations for serious hunting.....

I have only had fixed power scopes on all of my rifles until recently when I purchased my first variable. The 6x36 or 6x42mm Leupold or the S&B you are talking about are fantastic and a person really doesn't need a variable. They typically are clearer and stouter in addition to being smaller and lighter. Now that being said, I sure like the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold I put on my new rifle build which is a Model 70 customized in a .280 AI!!

I have some good variable scopes, but have started to see the light. My favorite scope now is the 6x Super Sniper from SWFA. They are a tank, so if you think that you need something light, they are not for you. I will trade weight for the total reliability any day.

I still have my variables on several rifles and they will stay there, but fixed 6x is the way forward for me.

I usually buy a 3X9X40, period.

That said, I've just bought two 2X7's, to finish off my "3 gun Battary".

The 9X is for Range Time ONLY. I lost a clean shot, some yrs. ago, by having it set too high when field conditions changed very, very, very fast.

When I'm hunting, it's locked on 5X.

Im a fan of variables, simply because I like to dial up to 9/12/14 what ever it is at the range. Makeing seeing the holes at 200 much easier. Typically when I am hunting i have it on the lower end untill i see my prey! Then i adjust. A scope is just another tool we have, why not make the most of it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back