Caribou Gear

Favorite friction call

sigpros

“Pot” “friction” “slate” whatever you call them what us everyone using these days. This youth hunt with my son has got the turkey fever going in me. Looking to get some new calls and start hunting again

Primos Ol’ Betsy was my first slate call (thanks mom and dad!) and is still my favorite. It is the cheapest call on the aisle, so that’s nice too. And I think that it might be my favorite because of its striker. I love that striker when used on any slate/glass/aluminum/“crystal” calling surface.

One major drawback with natural slate calls........complete failure when wet.

Primos Ol’ Betsy was my first slate call (thanks mom and dad!) and is still my favorite. It is the cheapest call on the aisle, so that’s nice too. And I think that it might be my favorite because of its striker. I love that striker when used on any slate/glass/aluminum/“crystal” calling surface.

One major drawback with natural slate calls........complete failure when wet.
Definitely love the Ol' Betsy. My favorite was Primos the Freak I still have one but believe they stop making them. Don't over look the Primos cutom strikers they're pretty nice.

The glass call reaches out there. I believe they can hear a high pitch call from a long way off.

Well we had 3 Toms work in, we couldn't get a shot but we had 30 minutes of a great show. Needless to say my 12 year old is hooked. Looking at maybe trying to hunt some Kansas birds this week. This virus stuff might have us shut out of that. I need to find some public since all the places I hunted 20 years ago I am sure have changed hands. Thanks for the advice on the calls fellas

I was given a Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal call last year that I really like. They aren't cheap, but it sounds more realistic (at least to me) and is easier to use than the less expensive ones I've used in the past. I wish you and your son good luck on your hunts!

I was given a Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal call last year that I really like. They aren't cheap, but it sounds more realistic (at least to me) and is easier to use than the less expensive ones I've used in the past. I wish you and your son good luck on your hunts!
Same thing here. I do think it's harder to get a consistent sound on the crystal than a slate call though. But with some practice, the woodhaven call sounds really good (to me).

Those wood haven calls look nice. They are pricey but I don’t mind paying for a good piece of gear. I watch some guys on you tube who use them and they seem to work well for them. I will have all summer and fall to get a new call and get it up and running. I see a lot more turkey hunting in my future

View attachment 134812
Slate is the easiest and most forgiving. Copper, glass, crystal, and aluminum all sound good too. You can get an infinite number of sounds by fooling with strikers too. These are all home made.
Awesome stuff!!

I have an Ol' Yeller slate call that I use. I have another friction call that my dad bought a long time ago that is just a straight line. I've not really used it as I had taking too much stuff to the field. Might give it a try this year...

I got a Woodhaven Cherry Classic crystal call (on sale from Dicks's Sporting Goods for $60) a few weeks ago. I'm a novice turkey hunter and even more novice caller. I have found it easy to make good sounds with it. Can get very loud as well as soft.

Last edited:
Olin Humphries double side Ceramic over slate. Easy to play and never have to condition the ceramic, just wipe it off.

Back