Favorite Diaphragm Call for Cow/Calf Sounds?

Single reeds. The ones with no pallet plate work well for me and the amp ones seem to sounds really crisp and blow easy as well.. the Rocky Mountain game calls tear away from the reed pretty easy imo

I like a green "All Star" from Rocky Mtn Hunting Calls, softer latex that isn't stretched super tight makes it easier to control, in my opinion, for just cow/calf sounds - but I can't bugle/chuckle with it to save my life.

Also, if they ever read this, please do something about the taste of the green tape. It's straight up terrible. Almost have to lick your armpit to get the taste out your mouth.

I like a green "All Star" from Rocky Mtn Hunting Calls, softer latex that isn't stretched super tight makes it easier to control, in my opinion, for just cow/calf sounds - but I can't bugle/chuckle with it to save my life.

Also, if they ever read this, please do something about the taste of the green tape. It's straight up terrible. Almost have to lick your armpit to get the taste out your mouth.
Hmmm... you're not really selling this one...

All of the phelps amped calls work incredibly well for me. I've been using them for 4 years and haven't found another call that plays as well for me.

Green is my favorite for soft stuff. It's a looser stretch and bugles can be a little tougher to harness the high notes as a result.

Grey and black are good buglers for me, but also perform well for cow calls. Just not as soft as the green.

Bought the pink signature call this year and it's a very tight stretched latex. LOUD and very easy to hit the high notes for bugling. I really like it for that, but it's not as easy to hit the cow stuff out the gate. I usually have a few errant squeaks before getting into a rhythm with it.

I have the rocky mountain mini above, same small palete issue. Like the mini from primos double reed.. so far the primos works better for me, need to work the other a bit.more

Last edited:

Green tape nasties must be a thing, Phelps let’s you know in advance even.

41865F00-6333-45FE-8218-393E4B000E48.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back