Favorite Big Game Meat

MLM

Darn this is a hard one for me! It use to be Elk, then Bear, and then Deer. But since I just got back from a hunting trip , I am going to have to move a new front runner up there with Elk. I would say Caribou is as good or maybe a tad better than Elk. Oh well , maybe I just need to get out west and knock one down again! Been so long!! But trust me if you have not had Bou you are misssing one of the better top two game meats.
Mike Murphy :D

Easy one Elky. Without a doubt, Mountain Lion is my favorite. Then I guess the Moose and Caribou are about tied with Elk, Pork and antelope (are tied), Deer, Sheep, everything else with bear a long way to the back. I would almost prefer eating lizard, (as a matter of fact, snake and alligator are pretty darned good) to bear. By the way, Javelina is no where on the list.

:cool:

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 13 October 2001 11:37: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

Pretty easy top five for me!

1. Cow moose
2. Wild hogs from the Texas Hill Country
3. Cow elk
4. Squirrel
5. Young deer.

Have not tried 'bou, but have heard it is great.

Westman

DanR55 are you kidding when you say m`lion is your favourite? I`m thinking a tom cat of any species could be a bit rank but i have never tried one so i have to believe you,shiit its hard to though---- you are kidding arent you? All i can offer is No 1 early season fat Fallow buck 2 Hog deer 3 Yearling spikey sambar 4 crop stealing young wild pig 5 fat wild ducks all of them cooked and eaten in a hunting camp somewhere---they always taste better.

Easy answer,
1.Muledeer
2.elk
3.moose
4.Antelope (unless it has a big sage taste)then I give it away.

Nope, not kidding a bit. I used to think that way myself. I was reading a book about Jim Bridger and the early years of the Western United States. It told a story about him going out to hunt for food and coming back with a mountain lion because that was all he saw. Said he was plenty upset until he ate some. After that, it was his favorite. Well, I tried it and it quickly became my favorite also. Actually, it probably has less gamey taste than Elk, Deer or any of them. :cool:

And it tastes like p-u-s-s-y. I know because I got one last year and the meat didn't last but 3 months. My girlfriend now likes it also. Never thought I would fall in love with a girl that likes ....... well you know what I mean.

If you guys like the cat meat come on down ---you can spotlight 100 feral cats in a week in the outback lol.The aboriginals love em too.

I don't know sometimes whether I eat to live or live to eat. The only really foul stuff I ever ate was bear. I gotta go with Murph on this one, Elk WAS my favorite, but it just got bested. So here is the list.

1) Caribou
2) Elk
3) tie Moose & Bison
4) Whitetail deer

Murph I can't believe that you never told me about Mountain Lion being good to eat. Some how I think there is a pun here.? HHHMMMM, Mountain, mounted, lion, lyin'. OK. ;) WD

Well,seein as in the last 2 of 3 weeks I've skun 40 some odd mooses and helped cut em all up,moose meat is definitly last.Sure do love that deer meat tho.LOL

I think my all time favorite is more than likely elk followed by moose. I have only had bear once, young spring bear and it was fantastic. I also only had sheep once and loved it equally as well. Then I would have to say it is a toss up between antelope and deer. Hopefully LB will fix me some caribou soon that was given to us to try. I have never had lion, so no comment on that. I have heard that lion is very good though.

Steaks:
1. Beef
2. Lope
3. Elk, Moose
4. Beef liver, Deer

Burger:
1. Elk
2. Moose
3. Beef
4. Deer

Thought I would through beef in there even though it isn't wild just to show you were it stands.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back