Father / Son Wyoming Pronghorn

A_Holdgreve95

Hello everyone, My father and I are going to try and draw our first tag this year. We got started late seeing that my dad and I each only have 1 preference point. We would like to go as soon as possible because of my fathers health being a concern.

Do you guy recommend waiting if possible?

We have gohunt insider, any units to stay away from or recommendations?

Like I said this will be our first time hunting out west, we are very avid Indiana deer hunters

With that being any tips or anything that you think we should know would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Outfitter possible?

What state?

What are your trophy goals?

Outfitter possible?

What state?

What are your trophy goals?
Outfitter isn't in the budget!

Wyoming

Trophy isn't really an issue, just wanting to get out and spend sometime together while still trying to be successful!

I'm hardly an east side, low point pronghorn expert, but if it was me and given your dad's health...I'd take what you can get and start making phone calls to get set up with a trespass fee situation. Likely money well spent in your collective circumstances.
what is a trespass fee and how do you get set up with one?

what is a trespass fee and how do you get set up with one?
A trespass fee is a fee paid to a private landowner that allows you to access their property for a specified length of time. Terms you would want to identify would be:
1)Firm price quote (obviously)
2)Clear understanding of their ownership (i.e. a map you both know and understand)
3)Who else or how many other hunters they might be allowing on at the same time

It can be a relatively economical way to get a "good" hunt (potentially decent animal numbers and less competition from other hunters) in units that may be easy to draw due to limited public land access. Googling may help you to some extent; I would contact the warden(s) for the area(s) you're interested in and ask them for any recommendations.

It probably will be very difficult to find a good trespass fee hunt at a reasonable price. It was a good option a few years ago, but now most (if not all) of the good ranches have been leased by outfitters. Doe tags are also hard to come by in the past couple of years.

One PP areas are only one point for a reason, but you might get lucky. There is also the option for trying for better tags in the random draw.

Pick a couple units that you can draw. Call g&f office for that area and ask for access coordinator. Tell him what your looking for and ask about trepass fees or tracts that might be accessible in those units. If not, you can apply for a good unit and hope to hit random. If not you can archery OTC in several states (not wy), low success but fun and gets you out. Your already to far behind curve for good units espically with recent winter kills.

Unit 23. But put in for hunt looking at random draw odds Random can be you ticket till you get 6-7 points which will be 8 or 9 when you get there to go on a guaranteed hunt with preference points. Also put in for south dakota. I would suggest put in separate not as a group unless you both have to have a tag to hunt. Apply for doe tags also. Pay a trespass fee if want to go sooner in units around 23 to get a tag easy. Antelope are easy getting the tag is getting to be the hard part even for doe. If do archery can go over counter in South Dakota.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back