Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Father & Son Hunt

Larry57

Hi, I'm Larry going hunting with my son who is stationed in Washington and we were thinking about a Weyerhaeuser permit maybe North Cascades for a week long hunt for whitetail or mule deer. Any thoughts we are from Kentucky and I was stationed there in the 80"s I know it's beautiful up there. Just want to have fun and maybe bag a deer together. We would like help planning if it all available, Son would be available to scout preseason for us.

Elk would be great but depends on when we go it seems like there is three species of deer open in October, Elk comes in later by itself I think, Washington laws on game are mixed and hard to follow, trying to figure it out. Definitely open to Elk though, this is our first trip so thinking deer would be easier first time out.

I recommend pronghorn for a father son hunt. Lots of fun and you can hunt all day long rather that dawn/dusk like most other big game animals.

Where is your son stationed? If you hunt west of cascades it's mostly blacktail, east of cascades muleys and whitetail. You are correct, the rifle deer and elk seasons don't align or run back to back. I think you're on the right track for deer if you can only do one.

Got some great Intel on elk from an outfitter and area is a little flatter, easier on older knees, with lots of dirt roads so shorter distance to pack hopefully. Will post pictures this November.

I recommend pronghorn for a father son hunt. Lots of fun and you can hunt all day long rather that dawn/dusk like most other big game animals.

As a native Montanan and current Washington resident I hear you. Pronghorn are slowly taking a foothold here. I hope they’ll be huntable in my lifetime...

Oh, I love hunting a lot. To be honest there are a lot of tricks in hunting that may be helpful. I have started to hunt not so far ago, like couple years ago. So the thing is that I still improving my skills. Recently I faced with the problem of choosing kayak. I was looking for a good one and finally stumbled upon an article about Wildlife Chase kayak guide. I have chosen Vibe Skipjack 90. I'm waiting for it to deliver. Due to quarantine delivery postponed. Sad

Last edited:
Good luck on your father son hunt. Washington is a difficult state to hunt, mostly because there is limited public land to hunt, mostly private. I'm not saying there isn't good hunting there, just difficult. You are probably spot on picking up the Warehouser pass, that is if you can draw one. There is a limited # of permits and they usually sell out fast. Hope you both have success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back