Father and Son Wyoming Trip

Now it was time for us to switch gears and decide how we were going to spend the next 3 days trying to find a mule deer buck.

Very cool trip. Making memories with your son is awesome! A hunt I'm sure you'll both treasure for years! Looking forward to the rest.

Cool buck! Did your son get in on the guttin’ and gillin’? Always the fun part!

After such a successful morning, we had lunch at Sonic and tried out the pool and water slide at the hotel.

The afternoon of day one found us trying to familiarize ourselves with the mule deer unit that I drew. I had never been in the unit, although it bordered the antelope unit, so we had seen some of it from the road.

All we saw was does and most of those were on private. I found a spot that I wanted to check out the morning of day two.

Day 2

The spot that we tried on the morning of day two was a creek bottom that was surrounded by hills with some trees. It just looked like where mule deer should live.

The first animals that we saw on day two were elk. I had no idea we would see elk, so I was surprised.

We turned up lots of does in the first spot that we tried. We hoped it was just a matter of time before we found a buck.

I really love this country that we hunted. It’s a lot different from the mountains of SW Montana. 2E8A9D53-81B6-49A2-9B45-F9E36AC82654.jpegD52B19CF-B58E-41C6-A5C5-C54658404AB6.jpeg1D2BD213-698B-4DD0-BB6B-3686797B8087.jpegCE5FC59C-6723-45E9-9708-2A07672C05B5.jpeg

We tried a couple of other spots on day 2 with no luck. I had imagined that I’d see lots of bucks and that I’d get to be picky about which one I shot. I was beginning to wonder if I would even see a buck.

The weather was also on my mind. There was a winter storm coming in on day 4. I really wanted to get my buck has on day 3, so that we wouldn’t have to drive 450 miles home in a snow storm.

Day 3

We made the decision to go back to our first spot. I thought that if we only saw does in the creek bottom, we would make a loop into the hills to the east. I had made the decision that I would shoot the first buck that I saw. We were running out of time and I was afraid I may not get an opportunity.

We got out of the truck at first light and gained some elevation to glass the creek bottom.

The does were there again. At least a dozen of them. I looked them over for a long time and wasn’t able to put antlers on any of them.

We made a loop to the top of the ridge and after not seeing anything, we decided to head back towards the truck. Maybe we should go check out another spot.

3DBDDC6C-9258-4AA2-88D6-8590ACF75F08.jpeg9F202D49-5509-4EA5-B096-737F6521F98A.jpeg43743080-2CB8-4386-B38B-7108FBC13017.jpeg

Shooting the coyote alerted the deer in the creek bottom of our location. I wasn’t too worried, since I thought it was all does.

I started looking them over good hoping that a buck had joined them. To my surprise I spotted the first antlers of this trip. They were probably 400-500 yards away and we were in the wide open. What the heck, we tried to close the distance and see what happens.

They trotted off behind a hill. We could leave and never see them again or we could chase them. I made the decision to chase them. I told my son to stay back and I would wave for him to come to me when the time was right. I went up one rise. No deer. I waved him to me. We walked down to the bottom and I told him to wait again. I climbed to the top and saw two does, but where was the buck? After a few seconds, he walked into sight. I ranged him at almost 250 yards and he was walking quartering away from me. One shot from the .280 dropped him.13C47E95-72A8-4955-A635-CF0F0121F769.jpegEA43EB2B-DB45-4C41-8776-80D33CE47B32.jpeg

It was 10:00am. We got busy and had the deer in the cooler before noon. We were back in town again in time for lunch and followed that up with a celebratory trip to Dairy Queen.

We spent the afternoon relaxing and playing in the pool. We drove back home the next morning and beat the snowstorm.

Looking back, I could have probably found a bigger deer, if my son didn’t tag along and I spent 3 days putting some miles on my boots.

I have killed bigger deer, but I’ve never enjoyed a hunt more than this one. I would do it all over again. We are already planning a trip for next year.

I got a call yesterday from the taxidermist saying the European mount from my antelope is ready. Stay tuned for pics of that.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back