Family Vehicle

You guys... Unless you go suburban. This. Is. It.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/40.html

But in all reality, if you have financial sense and don't want a payment... We use a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 4wd with a 6.0 vortec. Bomber with excellent towing numbers, but terrible gas mileage. My wife's is actually quadrasteer, so no rocky trails for it. Too much steering equipment on rear axle. They can use chains on the rear tires if you don't upsize tire.

What about the Toyota 4Runner?

I’ve never had one and I don’t have kids, but it looks roomy enough and has a nice off-road package.

Google Tim Dahle, Utah.

They are a Nissan dealer. They do a factory approved conversion on the Nissan full size can. They put Titan 4x4 system under them. Isn't some fly by night deal, these things are well done.

Great for fam. Could be even better for couple cots, after pulling seats.

I have no connection to dealer or Nissan.
I’m liking this.

Of all the ones mentioned, I'd lean Chevy Tahoe, or Toyota Sequoia, or even a third row Toyota 4Runner. If you are loaded, the Toyota Land Cruiser would be my choice then.

Thanks a million everyone. The Expedition and Suburban sound like they merit a strong look. That said, wife's input is also key. Sounds like it's time to start kicking tires. I'll keep everyone posted. Hope this turns into a valuable thread.

P.S. - Apologies to the minivan guys. Just ain't us.

I've always been a chevy guy and we were looking at getting another Tahoe last summer. Went and drove the new Tahoe. It didn't seem as nice and plush as others we have had. Felt cheaper and not as roomy. Wife wanted to drive the new Expedition. Glad we did. That thing blew the doors off the Tahoe in room, ride, power. Ended up with a 4x4 and I love it. That is hard for me to say about a Ford lol. I took it last summer to scout a WY elk unit while we were vacationing in CO....before we had made the first payment. I took it (not on purpose) down some roads that some guys would not drive their UTV. I was truly impressed.

I've always been a chevy guy and we were looking at getting another Tahoe last summer. Went and drove the new Tahoe. It didn't seem as nice and plush as others we have had. Felt cheaper and not as roomy. Wife wanted to drive the new Expedition. Glad we did. That thing blew the doors off the Tahoe in room, ride, power. Ended up with a 4x4 and I love it. That is hard for me to say about a Ford lol. I took it last summer to scout a WY elk unit while we were vacationing in CO....before we had made the first payment. I took it (not on purpose) down some roads that some guys would not drive their UTV. I was truly impressed.

Was up in MT for a wedding and rented a Tahoe, was not impressed. They have a third row of seats, but it's so cramped back there even a 6 year old would be pretty disgruntled in the back. I'm not sure if you could run a car seat in that row and if so if you could actually load a kid into it... if you really need seating for 6 I would probably avoid the Tahoe.

Just looked up the cost of a Land cruiser... wow. I think I’d spend a little more and just get a G Wagon.

Was up in MT for a wedding and rented a Tahoe, was not impressed. They have a third row of seats, but it's so cramped back there even a 6 year old would be pretty disgruntled in the back. I'm not sure if you could run a car seat in that row and if so if you could actually load a kid into it... if you really need seating for 6 I would probably avoid the Tahoe.

I agree. 3rd row in Tahoe and your knees are in your chest. You can sit 2 grown men in the 3rd row of the Expedition and be reasonably comfortable. Lots more room than the Tahoe.

If you are getting a 3 row SUV, I would highly recommend getting captains chairs for the middle row. Makes getting in and out way easier, and also makes it easier to deal with unruly kids in the back row, since they know mom is only a couple steps away for the whuppin. :)

Dude I know, I've probably repeated this here but I'm still flabbergasted. My in-laws have a Yukon with the captains chair 2nd row thinking "oh it seats 7 people". But the third row is useless for anyone but small kids, and then you have no cargo room. So basically it's a $70k car that seats 4 people!!!

My brother has the Yukon XL and it's waaaayyyy better for people hauling. Good cargo space still with third row up (his is always up for his kids).

Dude I know, I've probably repeated this here but I'm still flabbergasted. My in-laws have a Yukon with the captains chair 2nd row thinking "oh it seats 7 people". But the third row is useless for anyone but small kids, and then you have no cargo room. So basically it's a $70k car that seats 4 people!!!

My brother has the Yukon XL and it's waaaayyyy better for people hauling. Good cargo space still with third row up (his is always up for his kids).

I'm eyeballing a kitted out back country sprinter van. They can be pricey if they are new... but another good option. 100% agree the tahoe is a bizzare size IMHO.

I would copy that on tahoe. The 99-06 gen were better than the current space wise at least. The only reason they seem to be everywhere is I guess nobody has more than two kids or ever hauls any gear around??? The turning radius is a bit better but quadrasteer on the 3/4 ton yuokn XL beats the tahoe by several feet :cool:

We had an Expedition for commuting to Stillwater when I worked there. It always made it no matter how snowy. The third row wasn’t bad for what it is. But we usually tried to make the geologists sit there 😃

It had zero maintenance issues at well over 200k miles.

Test drive several. We have four kids and finally got to the point we wanted to buy a really nice vehicle (refuse to take a loan so it took awhile) our requirements were the same as yours we test drove every major model of third row SUV on the market. None had the comfort for hauling a family around as a minivan. If had the budget to keep one just as a camping vehicle they would have been awesome. None of them were something my wife wanted to run errands in with the kids. We opted for a 2 year old minivan and keeping my crew cab F350 for when we need to get into the rough stuff. When something tries to do everything often it does nothing well.

I was going to say the same as above. I have a 2008 f-250 crew cab with an 8 ft bed. You have all the room. Mine seats 6 and even the center seats are as big as a regular seat on most all vehicles. What you lack in gas mileage you make up for in off road ability. Mine has the v10 an electronic 4wd with manual locking wheel hubs. I don't fear taking this down some questionable trails since I have more then enough ground clearance for what I'm doing. the v10s are reliable as well and pretty cheap to maintain compared to a diesel. But if you have to go with a SUV. Maybe take a look at the Ford Excursion. Little older now but man those things are comfortable.

here is an out of the box option for you. A 4WD Ford Transit. We ride enough motocross that I have been dreaming of one for a while and finally pulled the trigger last year on the purchase and finished the 4wd conversion on March. I also have 4 kids and its more room than we will ever use, but we are SOOOO much happier. While it was in the shop getting the conversion we had to go on a road trip and it was VERY obvious how much we missed it. I know its not for everyone and doesn't have the clearance, but most of the time I'm hiking from a trailhead or from the side of the road so clearance isn't an issue. Plus, its a lot more comfortable to sleep in than a camper shell or tent, when the situation warrants. I should also mention that the medium roof makes moving around a lot more comfortable than any SUV.

Next summer I am going to have a vinyl wrap installed so it doesn't look so much like a great white whale.
van.jpg
Standing in front of Mount St. Helens the day after we picked it up from the conversion.

I really can’t say enough good things about the K2XX LWB GMs. I’ve had my Yukon XL SLT 5.3L 4WD for a couple years now and it fits the bill perfectly as a road tripper for my family of 6. My only complaint is the factory halogen lighting - it’s terrible! Nothing that can’t be fixed.

View attachment 109298

20+MPG highway on standard-load 32.6” Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws; Really can’t complain! Mine has a 2” level up front and a 3/4” rear coil spacer. I could get a little more clearance up front if I were to cut the air-dam. Fine for unpaved roads, but wouldn’t want to get into anything too narrow, rutted, or technical.

I came from Land Rovers [DII & LR3] and the size, reliability, and fuel economy have been a real game changer.
Good to hear. We got a used Yukon XL SLT about a week ago and is going really well. Doesn't handle like nearly as much truck as my wife feared, and there's enough room for our kids to do gymnastics inside.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back