Family Vehicle

I do miss the days of the full size van. I guess they're still around in a sense but seem to be geared more towards tradesmen. Buddy of mine had a nice GMC AWD van with a decent ground clearance. Perfect for hauling around the family and the rear seat would fold out into a bed for solo trips.

I have a 2001 Tahoe with 3rd row seating, I've used it for multiple trips hauling 6 guys to the coast to go deep sea fishing, driven it to Idaho and back (from NC) to go elk hunting and I tow my bass boat with it nearly every weekend January-June...I recently picked up a GMC Sierra with a diesel engine and contemplated selling the Tahoe but it's been such a good vehicle and for no more than I could probably get out of it with 160,000 miles on it I think I will just keep it and use it when I need to seat six and to take on hunting trips

I have had two expedition el 4x4, one with the 5.0 and the other with the 3.5 eccoboost. Have not had any problems with either one. Just the basic maintenance. I load up them with my family and dogs and drive across the west.

What about selling you on an actual truck? F150 supercrew with the bench seat. Obviously it doesn’t have the third row, but it does seat six. Great for a family of four and good with five. Seating six in the F150 is more for carpooling around town or shorter trips.

We have a Highlander as well, not a bad option either. As it’s a bit more reasonably priced.

The reason we got the truck with a bench seat, as opposed to the center console, was the wife was dead set on needing a vehicle that can seat six for car pooling when the kids are a few years older. I was set on getting a truck for the hunting and “man stuff” functionality. We solved both our needs, and when we get rid of the Highlander in a few years we can go back to a Camry and get 40+ mpg highway - which makes the tree hugger in me happy.

I was going to bring up the bench seat truck option. Put a camper shell on it and you'd have TONS of room for gear/luggage. The knock on them used to be the middle front seat safety issues due to only having lap belt. Now most of them have a shoulder strap so much safer. Manufacturers aren't making many bench seats in the higher trim levels and that's a shame. It feels roomier and more truck like to me. And it's easier to change clothes/boots in the cab without getting out of the truck.

We have a Pacifica minivan and I absolutely love it. 29 mpg highway full of people and kid junk. But it isn't designed to go off-road at all and I wouldn't use it for that.

I'll assume you're wanting a newer rig and making minimal upgrades rather than finding an older vehicle and modding it into an overland vehicle. So I'd probably get a suburban Z71, Sequoia, or expedition el fx4 and slap some decent tires on it.

I was going to bring up the bench seat truck option. Put a camper shell on it and you'd have TONS of room for gear/luggage. The knock on them used to be the middle front seat safety issues due to only having lap belt. Now most of them have a shoulder strap so much safer. Manufacturers aren't making many bench seats in the higher trim levels and that's a shame. It feels roomier and more truck like to me. And it's easier to change clothes/boots in the cab without getting out of the truck.

We have a Pacifica minivan and I absolutely love it. 29 mpg highway full of people and kid junk. But it isn't designed to go off-road at all and I wouldn't use it for that.

I'll assume you're wanting a newer rig and making minimal upgrades rather than finding an older vehicle and modding it into an overland vehicle. So I'd probably get a suburban Z71, Sequoia, or expedition el fx4 and slap some decent tires on it.
Yes. I think that this is the general direction we'll go. Just can't get a pickup to work since we need room for six.

I have a used Expedition EL with a 5.4 in it. It's 4 wheel drive, has 3 rows, and room in the back still with the 3rd row up. The only drawback is the 15.9 average MPG. I like taking it out on short trips since I can lay down in the back and still have room for gear.

I have a used Expedition EL with a 5.4 in it. It's 4 wheel drive, has 3 rows, and room in the back still with the 3rd row up. The only drawback is the 15.9 average MPG. I like taking it out on short trips since I can lay down in the back and still have room for gear.

I have a 2000 F250 with the 5.4l. I bought it with 269,000 miles on and it's running great so far. I've only put about 7,000 miles on it in the last couple of years (yay for working from home lol) so the mileage isn't too troublesome for me.

My buddy just bought a Ram 1500 with 4 full-size doors with bench seats. He sits 6. Probably not as comfy as a large SUV but it works.

Reactions: LCH
I personally would stay away from a Durango. They are more of a unibody, no real frame. We have several a few years ago for our inspectors and they just didn’t hold up. The 4x4 system was a little odd, kinda a full time traction control, not a true 4x4.
Wife had a Navigator a few years ago and loved it. Pricey to work on but a solid SUV. I drove a Suburban for 6 months in the field and it was OK. Loved the highway ride, but it was a bear to turn around on lease roads. Very heavy vehicle.

Google Tim Dahle, Utah.

They are a Nissan dealer. They do a factory approved conversion on the Nissan full size can. They put Titan 4x4 system under them. Isn't some fly by night deal, these things are well done.

Great for fam. Could be even better for couple cots, after pulling seats.

I have no connection to dealer or Nissan.

My wife and I (mostly her) just bought a Buick Enclave and we really like it so far. Probably a little ritzy for off-roading, Chevy’s counterpart, the Traverse would probably work.
We compared them to just about everything else out there and it seemed to be the best value.
The new Tahoes/Suburbans don’t reallllly seem to have much extra room if any at all, just a bigger vehicle (ground clearance though) and a bigger engine and gas tank and higher price tag.
Nissans in that same class we’re very nice, but smaller.
She should post on this thread, she peeled over vehicles for two months before she finally decided what she wanted for sure.

Reactions: LCH
I was bummed when i decided to get rid of the avalanche, great room in the back. Kept looking at pickups but none were as big. Thought I'd have to get an suv for the wife, two kids and the dog. I then found the f150 xlt. I can fit the wife and two carseats in the back seat. Awesome family vehicle. 5 adults fit comfortably.

I want one of these. mtmuley
2022-gmc-jimmy-203-1561043219.jpg

Been really happy with our Suburban so far. Great ride with comfortable seats for the family. It’s been plenty adequate for an antelope hunt and an elk hunt. It’s not a hardcore off-road rig but gets around fine.

We have a Durango 260K miles, and plan to buy a another one when this one beats the dust. Especially like how well the AWD works - heavy vehicle, handles well in snow, ice. Biggest downside is persistent electrical problems (key fob, ignition, wiring harness, relay switch, etc). We have a 2007, which is body on frame construction. Am not a fan of unibody Durangos (2009-2019), so will have to get a low mileage 2008 or a 2020, which returned to the body on frame.

We went f150 xlt supercrew 4x4 v6 EcoBoost w bench seat to fit 6....with 6 it's for short trips around town when the grandparents are in town and only want to take 1 vehicle. But can fit a full size human between the two car seats in the back. My wife loves it for road trips. I like it because its a truck...what can I say, I like driving a truck. Sometime NEED has nothing to do w it. LOL. Have really enjoyed it so far. Does also come in handy for general use around the house, landscaping yard work etc. Etc.

Used to have 4wd expedition, that was a good one too but got 12 mpg.

I really can’t say enough good things about the K2XX LWB GMs. I’ve had my Yukon XL SLT 5.3L 4WD for a couple years now and it fits the bill perfectly as a road tripper for my family of 6. My only complaint is the factory halogen lighting - it’s terrible! Nothing that can’t be fixed.

20+MPG highway on standard-load 32.6” Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws; Really can’t complain! Mine has a 2” level up front and a 3/4” rear coil spacer. I could get a little more clearance up front if I were to cut the air-dam. Fine for unpaved roads, but wouldn’t want to get into anything too narrow, rutted, or technical.

I came from Land Rovers [DII & LR3] and the size, reliability, and fuel economy have been a real game changer.

Back